Confused about different forms of 'Did you'

In level 1 ‘Did you have a good time?’ is ‘Gest ti amser da?’ and 'Did you enjoy? ’ is ‘Wnest ti fwynhau?’
I’ve started level 2, challenge 2 and it’s something quite different. I’m assuming it’s something to do with the formal ‘you’.
There’s nothing relating to this in the vocabulary list. I can’t really tell what it’s supposed to be from the audio.
Can anyone help?
Thanks.

Gethoch chi amser da?
and
Wnaethoch chi mwynhau?

maybe?

2 Likes

Yes, ces and ges for a question are from Cael = get or receive. So have in the sense of getting something.

2 Likes

I think this is it. Do you know why/ when you would use this form instead of gest ti and wnest ti?

Also I think gest comes from the verb cael. What verb does wnest originate from?

Thanks for your help.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply. I didn’t really understand the difference between wnest and gest so that helps.

1 Like

Having just listened to Challenge two Level two it’s exactly as @tatjana suggests.

2 Likes

gest ti and wnest ti are the familiar/single forms for ‘you’ (as the ‘ti’ indicates)
gethoch chi and wnaethoch chi are the polite/plural forms of ‘you’ (as the ‘chi’ indicates)

so you’d use the second forms if speaking to someone formally or to a group of people.

gest and gethoch do indeed come from cael, and wnest and wnaethoch come from gwneud.

8 Likes

Thanks. That’s helpful.