Concentration with listening practice

I really have trouble concentrating with the listening practices. Just find i completely block them out, a bit like i do the weather forecast.is the theory that there is value in absorbing the language regardness of attention given? suspect not and i am just wasting my time!

2 Likes

Hi @DiMatthews
It’s totally fine to not fully concentrate on them while listening…just have them playing in the background. You’re not meant to fully understand what is being said. Your brain will be processing it all in the background without you knowing. The idea is that it trains your brain to cope with Welsh at crazy speed, so when you talk to someone in the real world, you’re brain is able to process and understand what is being said.

Keep going and you’ll find in time that that you can begin to actually understand what is being said on the crazy speeded listening exercises! :-):+1:

2 Likes

Well thats a relief! Thanks @gkfbux

Hi @DiMatthews

I would like to tell you about a great moment I experienced during a challenge:
There was a completely new sentence to translate and before I even had the chance to think about it, my brain had already supplied it to me, because it was in one of the listening practices :smile:
And I’m usually looking around at Pinterest while I listen to them, so I’m far from actively concentrating on the listening practices.

So even if you feel like you’re wasting your time listening to them (and doesn’t it get annyoing sometimes to listen to them over and over and over and over again?), please do so anyway.

Dal ati! :four_leaf_clover:

6 Likes

Thank you @Camilla_Walker. Very encouraging. How are you?

You’re most welcome, @DiMatthews :smile:
I’m fine, thank you for asking. How are you?

The ideal you’re aiming for, Di, is to let your attention rest on the sound without making any actual attempt to process it - if your attention is completely somewhere else, you’ll still get some value but it will be much less - so if you can try to treat them a strange soundscape that you pay attention to for just five minutes and then forget, that will go even better for you… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am trying Aran. Seem to have an amazing capacity for swirching off!