Cold vs Strawberry

I had my first trip to mainland Spain two weeks ago (in Estepona, where Cilla Black used to live.)
I had water in the ear from too much swimming, so went to the pharmacy and had a very successful Spanish conversation in there with the pharmacist, and she recommended me some drops.
I knew that the verb “secadar” meant to dry, because I noticed in the airport loos that the Dyson Airblade is the “secador de manos muy rapido y hygenico,” but that’s beside the point.
Anyway, she gave me the drops and I, thinking the word for cold was ‘fresa’, said to her in confident Spanish: “Do I need to keep these strawberry?”
To which she replied “It’s not strawberry.”
“I know they’re not strawberry now,” I continued, getting agitated, “But do I need to put them into a fridge to make them strawberry?”
“Er … no.”

Frio, isn’t it. Not fresa. Don’t make the same mistake!

3 Likes

Oh … “fresa” so beloved word of mine when I was in Spain. Every day I orderred “copa de fresas” with delight and I bought “HALLS Fresa mentolada” too often there … so I rememberred the word until the end of my life!

And yes: frio = cold, caliente = warm just like in Italian “freddo” and “caldo”

Keep posting things in this Spanish category. I feel I’m slowly gaining bits of both, Italian and (that little) Spanish I knew, back.

Muchas gracias!

Absolutely superb! That’ll lock ‘frio’ into your long term memory, then…:wink: :star: :star2:

I still regret telling Catrin that all things considered she shouldn’t ask for swimming trunks at breakfast on the ferry when what she really wanted was a fork…:wink: