Clwb Finyl - Music appreciation society!

Hello Mark, I’m pretty sure the activity has to take place in Wales, but I’ll check! Yes my Grandmother used to live in Hove, and I know have a few friends who live in Brighton, so I know Brighton very well I’ve been visiting regularly since I was a child. My Auntie lives in Worthing and we’re coming down on Feb 10th for her surprise 60th! Great you’re doing a Welsh learners group in Brighton, da iawn!

1 Like

Great venue!

Thanks Jean, I’m pretty sure the activity has to take place in Wales, but I’ll check!

1 Like

Hello Jon, I’m pretty sure activity has to take place in Wales, but I’ll check

Ha ha, I think the Daily Post goes on sale in Liverpool? I’m pretty sure activity has to take place in Wales, but I’ll check

1 Like

Great Helen, let me know if your group is up for it, and when you meet, and I’ll find a tutor who’s available, diolch

1 Like

Diolch Martin - yes, that’s really what I’m expecting, to tell the truth, but it would be great if not!

1 Like

Hi Martin - Our Wednesday group is unanimously in favour. Do you want me to message you with details?

1 Like

The Daily Post was a Liverpool paper originally. Fy Nhad Cu Jones used to read it. It would be great if Clwb Finyl was allowed to cross the border - we’ve had the Eisteddfod here more than once, after all, and S4C did a viewers’ evening in Liverpool last winter - but I fully understand that you might be constrained by the funding conditions. Thanks for your reply and pob lwc with the project, wherever you go.

1 Like

that’s great news Rob, message me at martin@communitymusicwales.org.uk diolch!

Hello all, sorry to say that Clwb Finyl activity has to take place in Wales due to stipulation from our funders, sori,
but great to hear there’s so many Welsh learners all over the UK! Martin

2 Likes

Trueni, ond diolch beth bynnag.

What a pity, but perhaps an idea for the future? It would make interesting TV and perhaps encourage other people to learn.

2 Likes

It is indeed a pity that Clwb Finyl’s funding ends at the border, as does funding for so many other cultural initiatives. When S4C came to Liverpool last Winter, part of their agenda seemed to be an attempt to extend their remit to include the Welsh diaspora as well as just the people who actually live in Wales. S4C sees the need to expand horizons. They know they have a large extra audience for which they receive no additional funding

I’m sure that the existence of Welsh-speaking communities outside Wales could be a great help to the Million Speakers initiative, which might enable Llywodraeth Cymru to convince itself that a soft border for learner support would be justifiable. There’s a two-way traffic of migration across the border, and it helps if those who move into Wales have some idea of the language and culture. A modest investment in the wider Welsh community would be no bad thing, in my opinion!

8 Likes

Unfortunately, although we do get a few people at our meeting in Aberystwyth, it’s not the sort of crowd you can really rely on from week to week - what I mean by that is that one week we’ll get the 3 regulars who are there every single week, next week there will be 10 one off people, week after there will be 3 regulars, next week - 17 one off people.

As its a daytime weekday meet, we tend to get a lot of people who find themselves in Aber for the day :slight_smile:

I can fully recommend the meeting mentioned above by @helenlindsay in Y Dyfi. Really good people there!

2 Likes

There are 2 very active groups in Pwllheli Martin. I sometimes attend these as we now have a caravan on Pen Llyn. One meets weekly and the contact is @daimorgan here on SSIW and the other meets monthly to chat at Plas Heli ( in addition to various other activities) and the organiser is Martin Croydon ( Welsh Learner of the Year 2013). Here’s a link to the facebook page “Dysgwyr Dwyfor”
https://www.facebook.com/groups/dysgwyrdwyfor/

Good luck with your venture - sounds great! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sounds great. If anything happens in the Cardiff area, count me in.

Shmae Martin,
Sorry to be slow coming back after your message - computer problems to blame. Looks like a really good scheme, both practical view from the language learning point of view and enthusing as far as the interest in things Welsh is concerned. The organisers of the ‘Sesiwn Siarad’ group (which meets once a week on a Saturday in the Caffi Gwalia on the Stryd Fawr in Pwllheli) are Lesley and Howard Jones (fmdaun@gmail.com). I mentioned it to Howard at the sesiwn this morning and his first response was that maybe the Caffi Gwalia wouldn’t be the most appropriate place for a ‘musical’ event and that possibly Plas Heli, where Martin Croydon’s monthly sessions are held, might be a better venue. But of course, we don’t yet have a great deal of information about the scheme, and actually it’s possible that Caffi Gwalia would be happy to accept a musical dimension to the sessions - certainly they have been very positive and helpful to us since we moved there about a year and a half ago. I hope you’ll find time to get back to Howard and Lesley (or, if it’s easier to do it via the SSIW forum, to me, but I’m really just a contact point for SSIW rather than an organiser).
Gobeithio clywed oddiwrthoch chi yn fuan,
Dave Morgan.

2 Likes

Cytuno’n llwyr @mikefarnworth! Totally agree.

@MartinHoyland - not your fault, of course. If the funding situation changes, I’d be happy to attend an event in Sheffield, Leeds or Manceinion, as this sounds right up my stryd. (Datblygu are the main reason I’m learning Welsh!)

1 Like

Diolch o galon, Jean (a Dee), am gysylltu a chyhoeddi’r sesiynau ar gyfer dysgwyr ym Mhwllheli. Swn i wedi ymateb yn gynt, ond dwi wedi bod heb cyfrifiadur. Welai chi yn fuan, Dave.

1 Like