Clonc-edigion - The Touring Ceredigion Meet Up

!7th Feb is good for me. If you were born in 1980, you are exactly one day younger than my son. :laughing:

Nonchalant whistle…totally unconnected to any previous postings…

As much as I would have loved that to be true… We shall have to settle for the fact I will be 2 years and 1 day younger than your son :joy::joy::joy::joy:

OK… so I jumped the gun a bit and proposed a bit of name that I thought would be pretty funny and quite fitting given what we’re doing here.

I’ve knocked up an English and a Welsh poster for the next one. The English one I know is fine, but can someone double check my Welsh one? It all makes sense, but the only question is does it sound like a 4 year old child has written it? Any corrections let me know and I will edit it on my side :smiley:

The idea being that the main part stays the same every month, with just the bottom part changing as we tour around the place :smiley:

@aran hope you don’t mind the free advertising - I found it in Google Images. If you’ve got a more relevant image, or want it taking off - just let me know :smiley:

Providing everyone is OK with this, I’ll create a Facebook group as well, meaning people who aren’t on here can find it too. (Although my view is that should any non SSIW-ers come, we enslave them and make them install the app on their phones under duress before they leave) :D:D:D:D

2 Likes

There are a few little things in the Welsh version Nicky. I have to go out now, but if no one else has picked them up, I’ll do it when I come back.

Love the name! Very clever! :sunny:

2 Likes

We quite sold out the last venue didn’t we?

Based on last numbers I think we’ll get about 10 or so. Which could probably fit around two tables.

Myself and Lara were planning on arrival at Llandysul a bit earlier than we did, so we couldn’t end up getting two tables together.

What we might do this time is maybe get there half an hour before and plonk ourselves on a table each - a bit unsocial I know, but it’ll make sense when we’re all there together :smiley:

Good poster. :clap:
I’ve gone ahead and asked for a provisional booking since your announcement may soon go out on Facebook. I asked her if we could have tables together for a dozen plus and said I’d firm up dates and times nearer the 17th Feb. The lady I just spoke to was Welsh-speaking in fact.

enslave them and make them install the app on their phones under duress

You’d have problems installing an app on my dumb phone and you’d need more duress than you can imagine to make me join Facebook. :laughing:

2 Likes

this is why I carry a laptop around with me at all times :D:D

Here’s my suggestion for the Welsh part. Feel free to ignore where I’ve changed words if you want, and if others want to look through, I’m sure to have made errors in places.

“Clonc-edigion” yw enw grŵp o siaradwyr Cymraeg cyfeillgar o wahanol lefelau (dechreuwyr i siaradwyr rhugl) sydd yn cyfarfod bob mis er mwyn gwneud ffrindiau newydd, rhannu straeon, ymarfer Cymraeg, a mynd mas i gael blas o beth sydd ar gael yng Ngheredigion.
Y pwrpas “Clonc-edigion” yw cwrdd unwaith y mis mewn tref wahanol a lle gwahanol yn ardal Ceredigion.
Bydd hyn yn cynnig cyfle i bobl ddarganfod rhannau o’r ardal fydden nhw ddim yn ymweld fel arfer.
Rydym yn grŵp cyfeillgar o bob oed gyda sgiliau gwahanol yn yr iaith. Mae llawer ohonom yn dal i ddysgu – felly does dim angen i chi boeni am eich Cymraeg.
Ffeindiwch ni ar Facebook – “Clonc-edigion” – er mwyn gwybod lle a phryd byddan ni’n cwrdd yn y dyfodol.

3 Likes

Thanks for the add Nicky! I have a friend visiting Cardiff on the 17th but I will be keeping my eye on this :smile:

1 Like

Thanks @Deborah-SSi I have amended the original.

I was quite pleased that there weren’t glaring bad mistakes - just touches here and there.

This writing malarkey… well, it ain’t so galed.

2 Likes

Maybe one day it will venture as far down as Pont Abraham services and we can do some sort of half-way point meet! Hahahaah

1 Like

I would too, but it would spoil the line of my designer jacket. :laughing:

1 Like

I’ve tried to add as many as I’m already friends with - for those who haven’t added me yet…

Search for “Clonc-edigion” on Facebook to find our group on there.

At the risk of repeating myself, I and many other forum members are not users of Facebook. If Facebook membership is essential for following this or any other forum events, I regret, I’d have to count myself out and, in the Tregaron case, ask someone else to keep Riverbank cafe informed of numbers, etc.

Personal comment only: I hope that no one assumes that my decision not to use Facebook or other social media is curmudgeonly. I have been an enthusiastic user of computers, the internet and its predecessors for more than half a century. I have developed ad hoc software and encouraged fellow educators in the use of IT through courses at conference. I currently run a windows based desktop, a linux based netbook and (out of curiosity) an android tablet.

I have, of course, tried Facebook, Twitter and others and concluded that I do not want or need to use them.

3 Likes

I certainly wouldn’t consider it essential! It’s just another way of publicising the events, but as it’s primarily an SSiW event, this is where to come for information, and I’ll be including it in the weekly email as well.

4 Likes

Hi Hew,

No - Facebook will never be the primary way of advertising this - as it is first and foremost an SSIW thing.

The FB group exists purely so people who come and are on Facebook can find each other and become mates on there as well if they so wish.

It’s just an extra method of having a formal invite is all. My facebook syncs up with my phone, so if I agree to go somewhere on there, it reminds me the day before etc etc.

No intention is meant as in “you have to be on FB” and if any was taken from any of messages I apologise for any confusion.

4 Likes

Many thanks, @Deborah-SSi and @Nicky for your reassurances. :smile:

2 Likes

Hope to be there again for this one, with some or all of the Mach massive (though I doubt I’ll make every time). Our Machynlleth meetup is on 10th, so 17th is perfect. Thanks for organising, Nicky.

I wanted to say as well, how useful the last Clonc-edigion was, and thanks especially to @Deborah-SSi and @carolynh. It’s not often I get to talk in Welsh consistently for such a long time, and I’ve noticed a small but definite improvement in my confidence over the following week’s Skypes and class. Diolch!

4 Likes

I look forward to seeing you again next month @Isata. It was great to catch up.

1 Like