Christmas Carols and Songs yn Gymraeg 🎄

Can anyone recommend some carols sung in Welsh that are easy listening for me and my daughter.
I guess it will help a little to have at least some that are a familiar tune but basically anything that anyone thinks sounds good. I have access to Amazon music but the Welsh material is easier to find if I have a title or singer. Diolch yn fawr.

Have you tried Gobeith I Gymru? See the link below. This will give the title of the song and also the lyric.

There are three categories of songs. Choose one, e.g say “translations”. Then you can search using a key word eg “nos” for silent night.

I hope that this helps.

Sorry, I forgot to give the link -
http://www.gobaith.cymru/

2 Likes

Here are some lyrics to old favourites :slight_smile:

http://www.learnwelshinmidwales.org/uploads/carolau_nadolig.pdf

3 Likes

Also - Delwyn Sion “Un Seren” is a beautiful Christmas Song

2 Likes

Sorry last one…

This is a beautiful version by Rhys Meirion’s daughter Elan

6 Likes

I have used his web page recently. http://www.angelfire.com/in/gillionhome/Lyrics/lyrics.html
The Welsh songs/hymns are all along the footer. On the hymns the English is a literal translation rather than the English words to the hymns. Hope this helps.

3 Likes

I happen to agree with this wholeheartedly. And I have the lyrics (with translation) provided by his daughter (who is married to my nephew!) if anyone is interested.

This version, by Delwyn himself, is a bit easier (for me) to understand the lyrics:
[apparently the original version I had has disappeared, but here’s another, just nothing to watch]:

4 Likes

I’ve just found a new to me artist who does Christmas songs. Just wish I could figure links. Anyway it’s Mynediad am ddim.

1 Like

If the lyrics (plus translation) offer is still open, yes please @Sionned! A diolch yn fawr :slight_smile:

Let’s see if this works:

Un Seren (with translation).pdf (106.6 KB)

If you can’t get that, let me know and I’ll see if I can upload an image of it.

Worked brilliantly - thank you so much :slight_smile:

Keep an eye on this thread between now and Christmas for Welsh words to more Christmas Carols.

Does anyone have a name of a good Spotify playlist of Welsh language Christmas songs? I find it hard to navigate Welsh language music because I don’t have much vocabulary for musical genres and often the Welsh language music is on a bilingual playlist and I have no idea what to search for (in English or Welsh!) Thanks!

Here’s one from Yws Gwynedd. Though it does contain some English language songs, there are plenty of really great Welsh ones…

Otherwise if you just type Dolig or Nadolig in to search on Spotify, there are lots of choices there.

1 Like

How about this one Theresa…

I’ll try and get hold of the lyrics for you.

By the way, the song comes from this CD which includes the lyrics for every song.

https://sainwales.com/store/sain/sain-scd-2390

Diolch yn fawr that is fab :blush:

No translation unfortunately, but I’ve scanned the words in Welsh for some well-known English carols and for a couple of Welsh carols from the programme for the Welsh carol service in Coleg Yr Iesu/Jesus College in Oxford organised by Cymdeithas Dafydd ap Gwilym: Carolau - Capel Coleg Yr Iesu (ed).pdf (1.3 MB)
and, as I missed out scanning some of the words the first time :frowning: : Wele Cawsam y Meseia.pdf (159.8 KB)

1 Like

You are very welcome. I couldn’t find the lyrics online, so I have attempted to create a transcript, though I don’t understand what they’re saying about the monkey and the stuffing?!

Dymunwn Nadolig llawen
Dymunwn Nadolig llawen
Dymunwn Nadolig llawen
I bawb yn y byd

Llawenydd i chi
A phawb yn y tĹ·
Dymunwn Nadolig llawen
I bawb yn y byd

Ma’n bolia ni’n llawn o dwrci
A thatws a pys a grefi
A stwffin [ da-da-da] mwnci
Wel dyma chi wledd

Llawenydd i chi
A phawb yn y tĹ·
Dymunwn Nadolig llawen
I bawb yn y byd

Fe hoffwn gael pwdin Dolig
A phlat o fins peis

Llawenydd i chi
A phawb yn y tĹ·
Dymunwn Nadolig llawen
I bawb yn y byd

Da ni ddim am symud o’ma
Da ni ddim am symud o’ma
Da ni ddim am symud o’ma
Nes gawn ni fins peis

Llawenydd i chi
A phawb yn y tĹ·
Dymunwn Nadolig llawen
I bawb yn y byd

Wel dyma chi folia mawrion
Wel dyma chi folia mawrion
Yn llawn o’r holl ddanteithion
Ar ddiwedd y wledd

Llawenydd i chi
A phawb yn y tĹ·
Dymunwn Nadolig llawen
I bawb yn y byd

One of my favourites - so beautiful!

Here’s a lovely treat for you from the very talented harpist who played at the SSiW 10th birthday party in The Galeri, Caernarfon earlier this year…

1 Like