Chemist/pharmacy

A quick question, how would I say, I went to the chemist/pharmacy today,
Diolch

The Welsh for pharmacy is fferyllfa, so one way to say it is

Es i i’r fferyllfa heddiw.

Diolch Hendrik, I’ve heard of Cemegydd and fferyllydd as well,
Thank you

I believe without being sure that Cemegydd would apply to a chemist in the academic sense as ffisegydd is a physicist. British English is, I think, unusual in describing pharmacists and their shops as chemists.

Hendrik and Huw are both spot on.

What do we actually mean when in English we say “I went to the chemist”? We actually mean “I went to the place of the person who does alchemy”, which happens to be exactly how it’s said in Welsh but in a more concise way!
So fferyllfa (fferyll+fa, fa indicates a place) and fferyllydd (fferyll+ydd, -ydd indicates a person) are the two to use in this context.

4 Likes

“I went to the place of the person who does alchemy”

Now that sounds much more exciting! :grin:

1 Like

That’s great thank you Siaron, interesting to know that fa = place,
swyddfa,
campfa,
golygfa
Diolch

3 Likes

yup, those examples are exactly how it works :slight_smile:

1 Like

Allanfa, the way out
Darllenfa, a reading room. I had Welsh classes in a darllenfa once upon a time.

2 Likes

Now I know the “fa” I’ll keep looking out for it, I was learning mynedfa a few weeks ago, diolch Margaret

1 Like

Diolch - thanks - Siaron. I love these little snippets of information, such as …fa and …ydd.

2 Likes

One of my favourites, heard on the news, is dalfa - custody (dal - to catch)

2 Likes

Lol, I like that :joy:

When I worked as Aber’s European Officer, (remember the EU? :sob:), I was involved with applying for various Cronfa/eydd Ewropeaidd. I’m not sure if this word fits the pattern. “Cronfa” means “Fund” and the root “cron” refers to accumulation. :thinking:

yes, it fits - cronfa comes from cronni+fa. cronni = to gather/amass/collect, and a fund is somewhere where money is amassed :slight_smile:

1 Like

And of course, cofiwch cronfa ddŵr and all that represents….

Dangos, to show
Arddangosfa, a place of showing, an exhibition.

1 Like

Another handy tip is that words ending in -fa are usually feminine :slight_smile: e.g. y gronfa ddŵr, y feddygfa

2 Likes

Es i AT y fferyllydd heddiw :wink:

1 Like

I suppose this is because the pharmacist, the doctor etc. are people. What about an exhibition?
Es i i’r arddangosfa heddiw.
Would that be right?
Thanks,
Sue

1 Like