Challenge 2 level 2

Hello
I am on level 2 challenge 2. When the word ‘yourselves’ is added to a question the whole question seems to change. For example ‘are you ready yourselves?’
thank you

I’m not quite sure what you mean Martin - could you explain more how you think it changes?
For example, “Are you ready?” = “'Dach chi’n barod?” and “Are you ready yourselves?” = “'Dach chi’n barod eich hunain?” , is the same question but with added “yourselves” (eich hunain)

1 Like

I had a quick listen (to the southern version)…

…in this challenge in runs through a mixture of things which are similar and yet different - in true SSIW style, to draw the distinction…(cruel :smile: ).

So it asks ‘do you have children yourselves’ - present tense possession, using gyda (if you are doing south)…

Did you have a good time yourselves - past tense (but welsh uses ‘get’ in this context versus ‘have’ as per English)…

…and then ‘Are you ready, yourselves’…which is a present tense question - no possession involved…

So I think it is because the questions are jumbled up that the question changes…unless you mean something else of course :blush:

Rich :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah that would certainly explain it!

1 Like

Thanks for replying. Hopefully I have the spelling correct:

wyt t’in barod: are you ready
ydych ch’n barod eich humain: are you ready yourselves

1 Like

ah!
wyt ti’n barod is referring to one peron (singular ‘you’) whereas dach chi’n barod is referring to more than one person (plural ‘you’). It’s not the addition of ‘yourselves’ that’s changing the question, it’s the amount of people referred to in the question.

2 Likes

Wy ti’n barod - ti refers to one person, a friend or a child.

Ydych chi’n barod - chi refers to more than one person here (eich hunan is plural) but can also be a way of speaking politely to one person ( in which case I assume yourself would be ‘eich hun’)

1 Like

Oh and darn you beat me to it!

2 Likes

…or is it just a Celtic intensifier (for emphasis)?

“Do you have children?” doesn’t seem to convey as much as “Do you have children, yourselves?”

I’m thinking it in a Dublin accent.