Celebrating Dydd Gwyl Dewi on March the 1st

For anyone planning to celebrate Dydd Gwyl Dewi on March the 1st, here’s a thread with tips, hints and interesting links…

Fancy cooking something delicious and traditional to celebrate the day? Here are a couple of interesting links…

http://www.visitwales.com/explore/traditions-history/recipes

Happy cooking!

2 Likes

"Lobscows was a meal that the slate quarry men in North Wales ate when they came home at night."

That’s what I’ll be cooking, Catrin…Lobscows. If it was good enough for, Dewi Sant…

Ingredients:
Servings 4-6 1⁄2 lb stewing beef
1⁄2 lb carrot
1 swede.
one large onion
1 lb potato
1 tablespoon salt

Directions:
Peel the potatoes and dice (1 inch).
Scrape carrots and slice.
Scrape swede and dice.
Peel onion and slice.
Dice meat into 1 inch pieces.
Place meat in a large saucepan with carrots onions salt and about 2 pints of water.
Boil for 30 minutes.
Add potatoes and boil for 30 more minutes.

2 Likes

Dewi Sant was a hwntw. He’d never have heard of lobsgows. Unless Scandinavian raiders had told him about it*. Which is unlikely. :wink:

*It’s one of of the few words of Scandinavian origin in Welsh.

1 Like

Fabulous Kim! Here’s an alternative recipe -

Lobsgows

A piece of stewing beef, (on the bone adds more flavour)

Onion.

Carrots.

Swedes.

Potatoes.

Beef stock cube (if desired)

Method-
Boil the meat in some water for a short while.

Add the sliced onions and chopped Swede and carrots and add more water or stock.

Bring to the boil and simmer for an hour or more.

Add the potatoes and boil for a further twenty minutes.

In order to get the best flavour ‘lobsgows’ should be prepared the day before and kept in the fridge overnight and reheated.

2 Likes

For anyone in the Pen Llyn area, here’s an event on the 28th of February -

Also in Pen Llŷn, Parêd Dewi Sant Pwllheli St David’s Parade. A day of activities and a parade on the 28th of February. Follow this link to view the Facebook page -

https://m.facebook.com/ParedDewiSantPwllheli

1 Like

My Mum used to make it and we called it cawl. She was from Mid Wales not the north but the recipe is the same. My mother in law made the same but substituted the beef for roast chicken leftover carcass and also called it cawl. she was from around Abertawe. Rather than it being mostly solids as most downloadable and other ‘respectable’ recipes show, there has to be a lot of water so as to soak up the bread. If I’m ever to be hanged, it will be my requested last meal! Not that I’m planning anything…

1 Like

Also delicious with dumplings! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Don’t think that I’m trying to put you off the deliciousness described above but did anyone catch that archive film programme last week with Beti George where they went into how to make ‘sheep’s head soup’. No, its true now, they took the eyes out and boiled it up for 3 hours and more, teeth and all. Then al the bony bits (including the teeth) fell away and the rest was served up and tucked into. Just the thing to send you to bed for a restful night’s sleep. Ignoring the subject matter, the Welsh spoken by the persons involved (dates from early 1960’s) was very clear and understandable. Pick it up on ‘Clic’

1 Like

Any tips on producing good dumplings, Catrin? I love them but my attempts at making them have failed dismally. Mine always sink to the bottom of the pot like stones…never floating majestically like those of my mum or nan. I’ve used Atora suet.

Welsh Club Preston are mixing their national tastes by meeting for lunch on St David’s Day at Pizza Express in Winckley Street, Preston at 12.30 for 1.00 pm. Dewch i ddathlu gyda ni - croeso cynnes i bawb, fel arfer. Cysylltwch / contact us by phone 07594094803, email clwbsiarad@gmail.com or check out our website www.welshclubpreston.org

1 Like