Cardiff Half Marathon

Diolch yn fawr iawn to everyone who brought it to my attention and to MyDonate’s attention that the page wasn’t working - we are now cooking on gas (as the Irish say, and all the support team seem to be Irish…)

Hopefully we will be able to raise a bit over the internet to go with the “local” donations - I’m currently looking at about £300, which is nice, but will hopefully get a bit more.

Diolch eto!

Iestyn

ON Radio Cymru and S$C (I think) will be covering the race, so I’ll try to say hello to you from Cardiff if you’re listening!

2 Likes

Will try to listen to Radio Cymru although I’m not sure will I be in position. S4C is unreachable for me I’m afraid.

However - whatever - POB LWC @Iestyn AC GWEDDILL Y TîM!

Live coverage of the Cardiff Half Marathon is on BBC2 Wales (the rest of the U.K. are treated to Saturday Kitchen: Best Bites!!), Radio Wales, and in Welsh on Radio Cymru. Apparently you can watch it live on BBC iPlayer (although I haven’t checked). Unfortunately, there is no live coverage on S4C.

A brief update before I disappear out of the door for a meeting…

I have survived, just! Thank you to the people who shouted at me - it really was a nice little boost to know that there were people out looking for me! I know people were reading the race numbers, which had our names on them but seeing as there are no race photos available of me, I assume mine was unreadable. Plus most people struggle with “Iestyn” anyway!

A special hello to Ali who was scrutinising all the runners in the bay, then turned round to help the gorgeous little boy who was with her, and totally missed me, even though I shouted twice!

And now, the SSiW bit. I finished in 2:08 something, which I was really disappointed with, having walked a few hundred metres around the 5 mile mark, whne me dodgy calf muscle gave in. Why is that an SSiW bit? Well, it’s the difference between achieveing in your own race, and looking at people around you and measuring yourself against them. I went to Cardiff with 4 other people, and beat them all. It looks a bit bad to them if I “complain” abouut 2:08 when they were hitting 3 or 4 hours plus. But in fact, they did brilliantly for where they are in their running lives, learnt a whole lot from the experiemce and are better people for having achieved soething special.

For me, though, I didn;t do as well as I should have, but guess what? I’m dissapointed, but looking forwrad to doing the work to do better. I hadn’thad the perfect build-up, and I possiblby cut a couple of corners, or did things / didn;t do things that would have made a difference. But I’m far more fired up to do the half again, and do better than I was last time I did it. when I didn;t really have a target, other than finishing.

So it looks like I’m a better person as well despite not achieveing my targets.

A lesson for all SSiWers!

6 Likes

I’ve heard the name Iestyn at one point on Radio Cymru but the voice just didn’t fit so I presume this was not you. :slight_smile: I thought of you anyway hoping the race goes well for you.

Read: “a lesson for me” …

Da iawn ti @Iestyn. Llongyfarchiadau!

Oh No! I can’t believe it! I had seen my son go past (finishing at 1:44) and Phil must have been in roughly the same area as you as he came in at 2:12. That was my grandson, Iwan, with me and he was very patient watching all the runners and waiting for his Daddy and Grampa. He was rewarded with a trip to the play park. So sorry I did not hear you calling me! It was certainly a good point to spectate with a convenient little wall to sit on.

I was hoping one would appear in the what’s outside thread, wish i had been there.

Cheers J.P.

@faithless78?

In all honesty - I didn’t get up in time to go. Driving into Cardiff was out of the question because of all the road closures, and catching the bus in would’ve took too much time, plus they were also on diversion because of the Marathon. So I resorted to watching it on BBC2 instead!

The live TV coverage was centered mainly on the elite athletes, but there were pictures of the fun/charity runners for the last hour of the programme, with quick interviews with random runners finding out what causes they were running for. Unfortunately, I didn’t see Iestyn in the TV footage either (unless he appeared when I was making a dishgled!)
The live and highlights programmes will be available on BBC iPlayer for the next 28 days if anyone wishes to watch it for themselves (in the UK).

1 Like