Camping recommendations

We’re planning a short trip to Snowdonia-ish for summer half-term: I have a five-year-old son who has developed a fascination with the links between engines in the original Rev W Awdry Thomas books and engines in the real world, and so his desire to see Dolgoch, Talyllyn, and Prince (the originals for Skarloey, Rheneas, and Duke, possibly not in that order) provides me with good cover for an attempt to actually speak Welsh in Wales for the first time.

Now, if we’re planning on coming in our little camper-van, my experience of campsites to date is that you shouldn’t necessarily expect much more than minimal interaction with the owners/staff. Nonetheless, it’d be nice to support a Welsh-speaking economy; but things like “Best of Wales” only list cottages etc. rather than campsites.

So – does anyone have any recommendations of sites within easy reach of, say, Blaenau Ffestiniog (being sort of mid-way between Tywyn and Caernarfon) – or of good websites for me to try looking for myself?

1 Like

Eh?? But you seem awake and alert and stuff like that. How does this happen? :scream:

Pinging @CatrinLliarJones just in case she remembers any from occasionally looking for stuff like this before…

Hi, I can recommend a site near Bala ( where I stay). Ty Isaf
http://tyisafbala.co.uk/ Your son would like the Bala Lake Railway too. Blaenau Ffestiniog is 40 mins away ( 22 miles) and Caernarfon is 48 miles away. Its a lovely dairy farm and the land extends down to the river Dee too. They have goats, calves , pony, etc. The farmer is Wyn and a first language speaker and his lovely wife is learning Welsh with SSIW,

3 Likes

Just reviving this thread (in case anyone finds it in a search) as I’ve come across an excellent campsite that hasn’t been going for long - Llech Camping and Touring Site, Llechollwyn, Ynys, Talsarnau LL47 6TH +441766781082 https://www.facebook.com/llechcamping/
We’ve just done some filming there, it’s in a stunning location and it’s owned by lovely Welsh speakers :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Gwych, diolch Siaron. Is it ok if I copy it to the Places to stay topic?

Absolutely John :slight_smile:

1 Like