Bwtglamp Eisteddfod 2017

I’ll be heading up for the first weekend and will be volunteering in the peace tent over the weekend before returning back to Aberystwyth and continuing the summer course there! Thanks for ideas of places to stay - I’ll start looking into this now!

1 Like

I’ll be at the Eisteddfod at some point!. At the moment i’m also staying at the Welsh Language Society camp from Sunday to Tuesday and returning on Saturday. This may change. It would be great to find some fellow SSIWers at the camp.

2 Likes

Hiya all. FOllowing some discussion in the Million Speakers thread I’m experiementing with a semi-organised way of matching up people who are looking for company to practise their Welsh with at the steddfod

At the moment I’m just collecting who’s going to what in a form and I’ll manaully match. Considers it a human-subsitute for a clever app which might come into being one day…

So if you want company for the Chairing or just to sit with for lunch to hear a band or want to know what SSIWers are sharing your campsite and want to chat have a go filling it it! :slight_smile:

Bear in mind it’s very much a WIP just to see if it’s useful.

1 Like

Details of what’s on are at:
http://eisteddfod.cymru/digwyddiadau (Welsh) or
http://eisteddfod.wales/events (English)

1 Like

Anyone camping for a week and travelling by public transport, like to borrow any camping gear?

We have inflatable beds, two camping stoves, a camping kettle and camping saucepans, camping washing up bowl, large cool box, cutlery and crockery, small fan heater, lantern torches and so on. So if you’re unable to carry equipment, but would really like to borrow some, then please let me know. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My intrepid friend, who is camping for the first time with two kids (in our spare tent) hadn’t got hold of a cooker yet, as of yesterday. We have one of course but a back-up wouldn’t be a bad idea at all if it wouldn’t be any trouble. I will check, thank you very much for the offer!

He says he would be extremely grateful to be able to borrow:

• two inflatable beds
  • camping stove
  • camping kettle and saucepans
  • lantern torch

If that would be OK, would you mind PM-ing me your email address so he could arrange to maybe pick them up? (We’ll be travelling separately.)

It’s someone who has listened to quite a lot of SSIW lessons in the past, but mostly learned through WfA, for some reason… I hope that’s OK!

Thanks again for the very kind offer - it would make a real difference not to have to buy stuff!

2 Likes

In Palas Print ar y funud, ond am ateb yn sydyn. Dim problem o gwbl!

When are you arriving? I’m dropping Mila off at the Eisteddfod on Friday. X

1 Like

Fantastic, thank you! We will all be arriving sometime on Friday afternoon - not too late but hard to say exactly! We should be able to co-ordinate something that makes sense.

Diolch yn fawr iawn! They really appreciate it!! xx

1 Like

Hi @CatrinLliarJones, actually he only needs the airbeds and the lantern torch now. He had to buy sleeping bags this morning anyway and cooking things were reduced, so he decided to invest.

Thanks again and see you soon!

1 Like

No problem at all!

Just thought I’d mention that the air bed available is a large double one with it’s own built in pump and plug - comfortable and easy to inflate with electricity supply.

Otherwise I have an inflatable double sofa which folds out in to sort of a bed and two matching inflatable armchairs which also fold out in to some sort of single beds - these can be inflated manually, but take forever, so need a pump and electricity supply. The pump I can provide. Hope this clarifies.

The sofa and chairs are very similar to this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/201713887761?chn=ps&dispItem=1&adgroupid=45192390362&rlsatarget=pla-331477162972&abcId=1129006&adtype=pla&merchantid=7463524&poi=&googleloc=1007414&device=c&campaignid=861899495&crdt=0

Hmm, the problem is that we don’t have electricity supply on the tent site. We have a good large manual pump - do you think that would be ok?

Love the inflatable sofa by the way!

The inflatable double bed has its own built in pump with plug, so definitely needs an electricity supply.

The sofa and chairs in theory could be inflated with a manual pump, but it may take some time as they are rather difficult to inflate and are divided in to several sections, this is why we’ve always used an electric pump with them. But you could definitely give it a go, it will just be time consuming and possibly tiring. :wink:

Just one point, the seat/base of the sofa/chairs are in 2 sections and fold back on themselves to form the seat, then fold out to form a bed. When opened out, although attached, there is quite a gap between the two sections. What we usually do with this is roll up a blanket to fill the gap so as you don’t feel uncomfortable sleeping in a gap/hole. Hope this makes sense! Maybe the picture below will help…

2 Likes

Well we do have children… :wink:

Our pump is pretty good - it’s a piston-type pump as opposed to a little foot pump to step on, but I’ve sent them the link to this thread and will let them decide!

1 Like

We’ve had one of those weeks since returning from London - both kids possessed, not sure if we’ll survive the holidays… :joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Send 'em with the airbed - nothing like a bit of good manual labour!

(Now I really must try and finish tying up the ends of work before 3 weeks of annual leave!) :grinning::grinning::grinning:

1 Like

Hi, @CatrinLliarJones,
Well after all that, I don’t think we’ll need the air beds. There’s a slight question about whether they’d fit in the tent! But thank you for the very kind offer anyway.
If you do manage to dig out a lantern, I think that’s the only thing they haven’t got hold of yet.
Thanks again, and see you soon!

2 Likes

Very informative thread.