#Brexit? OMB Wales?

It did eventually blow up in their faces though, because with the US and Russia needing to get their iron industries and then steel industries productive, they effectively lured the best and most talented away. The US then blew us away and well before the start of the first world war, our steel boom was effectively finished.

We have quite a few notable people David Thomas from Alltwen - who became known as the father of the US Iron industry and others who helped set up New Tredegar in the US who built the iron/steel works to build the canons and weapons for the confederacy in the US civil wars. John Hughes who helped to build the Russian steel industry. We were exploited and then the best did what the best always do and got the rewards for their skills and talents elsewhere, where they were respected and appreciated.

1 Like
  1. Itā€™s odd. As soon as I read the beginning of @Toffidilā€™s post, I thought, ā€œOh, Truck Shops!ā€ I hadnā€™t really associated them with money, you see, as they were a way of avoiding paying working people!!
  2. Iā€™m sorry to be so thick, but what do the new initials OMB mean? (If the answer is not polite, PM me!)
  3. to @dave_5 Iā€™m not sure we can get away with saying things quite like that, just by putting a :smile: after them. (You do this by typing a colon. This gives you a choice. If you want something in particular, like a naughty imp, type colon imp :imp: and select the offered picture!!
    (Gee folks Iā€™m going into competition with our Slovenian friend!! (NOT!))

edit: While I was typing that @Toffidil 's last arrived. Yes indeed! It is such a shame Hughesovska - Donetsk, now inā€¦well sort of in Ukraineā€¦is having such troubles now. Of course, Peter the Great invited John Hughes, rather ironic!!

1 Like

OMB doesnā€™t mean anything. Itā€™s a meme from Tudur Owenā€™s radio show that has lately entered the wider Welsh-speaking lexicon. Itā€™s used as an exclamation in the same way as OMG, but itā€™s not actually an acronym in the same way that OMG is.

1 Like

Sorry, me again. That page says that OMB satnds for O Mam Bach, but I suspect that that is a backronym.

I thought it meant oh my ā€œenlightened oneā€.

(However, I shall definitely now switch to thinking it means ā€œo mam bachā€!)

To @robbruce and @owainlurch Diolch!! I feel less stupid now, as it wasnā€™t all that obvious!!

On another point, (perhaps if thereā€™s interest another thread for interesting extracts) - I really like reading the newspapers from the 19th century through to the early twentieth century. You can see the switch from very patriotic welsh language papers through to a point where the papers have changed ownership and are all in English, with a very different political slant. Aberdare Times, Aberdare Leader etc - there were so many back then. The ones in the US are really interesting as well - Y drych etc. You can really sense the mood of those times and the energy and passion that people felt for Wales, the language and the culture etc. The national library of Wales has a great list of them:

http://newspapers.library.wales/browse/p

1 Like

Iā€™ll see your make-up-bag and raise you a general canvas bach, I mean bag:

http://www.perisandcorr.com/products/omb-canvas-bag

Anyway, bacronym or not, it seems to have achieved some traction.

And arenā€™t there other expressions like ā€œbois bachā€? And at least one other that I canā€™t quite remember.

Iā€™d like to thank @robbruce for kindly responding to my (individual) plea - caredig iawn. Thanks also to @henddraig for elucidating an explanation of OMB. :slight_smile:

Anyone who knows me well or has played in the same forward pack as me will know that I am not averse to swearing (in several languages, I can now proudly admit :wink:). Itā€™s just that I include this wonderful forum in my list of places where strong bad language feels out of place.

Diolch eto - gwerthfawrogi iawn.

3 Likes

When I lived on Gower, I used to help to Index The Cambrian. This was in English and was ublished from 1804. It certainly gave me a very clear impression of life as it really was!
ā€œWe on Gower have no need of Police. We look after our own.ā€ (I forget the exact date, but I remember the quote well!!)
I did a bit of research on prostitution in Swansea and a lot of my reading was like the plot of a novel by C. Dickens.
Woman had outdoor relief, someone asked for her wedding lines and she couldnā€™t find them She was denied relief and told to go to the Workhouse. She moved into a really cheap room and paid by selling everything she could get money for. She had a little girl (about 10).
This isnā€™t the place for the rest but I will never forget that example of Victorian Values! It ended with a Coroner declaring that ā€œnobody in Swansea dies of starvation!ā€

1 Like

Not sure whether youā€™d class it as authentic, given that itā€™s scripted fiction, but here is Arthur from Rownd a Rownd using ā€œO Mam bachā€, at about 1m 12s:
http://www.s4c.cymru/clic/c_level2.shtml?programme_id=529479571
(7 Gorffennaf)

ā€¦and that reminded me of his also using ā€œbobol bachā€, which was probably the one I was trying to remember before.

O mam bach was also frequently heard in the classic football comedy Cā€™mon Midffield.

2 Likes

I have a friend who lives in an area of Wales that benefits a LOT from EU subsidies. She is still bewildered by the fact that the area voted leave :frowning:

Iā€™m in England and feel bereft about the whole thing. My rights are being taken away from me and suddenly my passport is going to be worth less than it was. My childrenā€™s future options have been taken away from them - something they had no say in. Over a year on and Iā€™m still in shock :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

1 Like

there are a load of threads on this subject, all now pretty old. We all, i think, are equally bemused, although it seems now, after Trumpā€™s election, to be a world wide phenomenon - a voting rebellion against the 'establishment ', unfortunately groups like UKIP and men like Trump are somehow seen as anti-establishment! The whole UK is currently aiming sharp instruments at noses to spiteā€¦ what?
You are NOT the only person who is utterly at a loss!

1 Like

@ElenTylwythTeg and @henddraig
May I respectfully and hopefully repeat my wish expressed a little over a year ago.

There are still a lot of raw nerves on this issue and still a lot of ugliness to come, which is why my own preference from now on would be to let the battles and debates take place in other arenas and keep this lovely forum a haven of blissful happiness. :worried:

7 Likes

I think Huw is spot on. There are better venues to discuss this than the forum. Iā€™m going to remove the posts after his request to stop, and lock the thread.

5 Likes