Books in northern Welsh

I am learning northern welsh, I can only find southern books. Are there any northern ones?

Llyfr Glas Nebo by Manon Steffan Ros would be a good one

1 Like

Diolch

Gwers Mewn Cariad by Beca Jones too
EDIT Thank you Aran for picking me up on my error I meant of course Beca Brown :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey, I’m looking for Southern and keep on finding Northern! :smiley:
Any Southern you came across and can tell me? Thanks!

Book for learners, in very basic Welsh I’ve enjoyed despite being a bit confused by the expressions I’m not familiar with:
Gansgsters Yn Y Glaw by Pegi Talfryn

1 Like

These are all books for learners which I’ve enjoyed :slight_smile:
North: The Blodwyn Jones trilogy by Bethan Gwanas, also Pen Dafad and Yn Ei Gwsg by Bethan Gwanas.

South: SgƔp! By Lois Arnold
:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Un Nos Ola Leuad (One Moonlit Night) (1961) by Caradog Prichard is the archetypal Gog novel - translated into dozens of languages including of course English. The Welsh is simple and natural, and 100% spoken Gog - the narrator is a child, you see. I thoroughly recommend all learners of the Gog persuasion to have this book side-by-side with the English translation - you will learn lots! :slight_smile:

There’s an extract from it in my Welsh Reader - with notes!! :smiley:

3 Likes

North: “Diffodd y SĂȘr - hanes Hedd Wyn” is written in the Northern dialect - actually, it’s so Northern I couldn’t understand it, and it’s still waiting for me to read it - I should probably give it a try now.
“Mudferwi” by Rebecca Roberts (my favourite novel from this year).
“Hi yw fy ffrind” and, as far as I understand, most novels by Bethan Gwanas
“Fi a Mr Huws” by Mared Lewis (a novel for learners, although, I think, level Uwch learners) has Gog characters

South: novels by T.Llew Jones. Written in the South-Western Welsh I love so much:)
I think “Dysgu byw” by Sarah Reynolds is set in the South, but I might be mistaken.

3 Likes

Think that’s Beca Brown
 :wink: aka @beca-brown

See:

Buy:

http://www.gwales.com/goto/biblio/en/9781785622373/

:slight_smile:

Why is there no ‘I do not like’ reaction option on this forum?!?! :triumph:
@aran is lucky that he’s in isolation in a remote part of the area
!

2 Likes

Of course it is, twpsyn lol Sorry Beca I’d just sent an email to a friend with Jones as a 2nd name and it must have stuck!

1 Like

whistles innocently

1 Like