Booking: Tresaith Bootcamp, April 2015

Hi
I’m looking forward to the 25th ( and slightly terrified :blush:) …im without a car so if anyone’s going from llandeilo/ Carmarthen way id happily stick in money for petrol…
Is there anything I should know to bring? ( I wont be bringing knitting :wink:)
Food? Bedding etc?

Cheers

Definitely bedding, sheets; pillow cases, towels…

1 Like

Just a quick reminder - to anyone coming from outside of the E.U - your here on holiday: not to study as this can cause problems at border.

1 Like

Thank heavens… someone else who’s slightly terrified :smile:

1 Like

Arrive terrified, leave inspired (it’s normal)

Cheers J.P.

7 Likes

So basically pack for hols but include bedding ? i might have missed something but what’s happening with food…do we need to bring it? It looks like I’m travelling by bus so clarity over what i actually need to carry would be fab :blush:

That’s a good summary. Food-wise, there are shops, so if you’re coming by bus I’d be inclined to bring as little as possible - there’ll almost certainly be an early trip to the Tardis (the nearest food shop, unless you count Siop Tresaith - there was a time when I could have lived happily for the entire week on their Tregroes waffles with a little ice-cream support).

Some useful questions and answers, and Catrin’s comprehensive guide, are available on our old old forum here:

http://old.saysomethingin.com/welsh/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=8251

http://old.saysomethingin.com/welsh/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2311

http://old.saysomethingin.com/welsh/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=7256

I hope that answers a lot of questions - I must remember to pur some time aside to put these lists on this website, sometime before the June BC!

BTW - everyone on the bootcamp should now have received their official welcome email - if not, let me know! For those staying next door independently, could you let me know if there are any specific things that we can do to help, and whether you are vegitarians? The Saturday evening meal is usually plentiful, so space allowing, it would be great to have you with us then as well as down the Ship, so that people can get to know you, and see bootcamp survivors with their own eyes - proof that we don;t lose many during the week… :wink:

2 Likes

Due to unforsen circumstances, there is now 1 place open on bootcamp. People on the waiting list will have been emailed by the booking system, so it’s first come first served!

Iestyn

I’ve just had the welcome email (thanks, Iestyn!) which is really helpful - answers a lot of the questions that I had.

I don’t actually possess a single duvet (our spare beds are doubles, since children tend to come home with partners in tow these days…) I was thinking about bringing a sleeping bag and unzipping it to make a duvet-lite. Does that sound feasible, or is the centre a little chilly for that?

And am I right to assume that we won’t be going anywhere where jeans aren’t an acceptable choice of dress? In other words, I don’t need to pack anything ‘posh’, do I?

Sounds workable to me. If you think you’re going to die, I’m sure someone will be able to find a spare blanket :sunny:

And yes to the jeans, too :sunny:

Great! (Especially the part about the jeans…)

I’ll probably chuck in a blanket or two as well, just to be on the safe side…

I might also bring some cake-making stuff, unless anyone else was planning to?

1 Like

I’m sure you’re meant to be on the northern Bootcamp, aren’t you?! [tuts]

3 Likes

the more cakes the better!

2 Likes

Now I’m beginning to do a bit more planning for Saturday, I have a couple of questions.

I have the postcode of the centre, but I can’t seem to find any actual directions. I think I’ll be able to drive to Tresaith (and there seems to be one main road in to the village), but then what? Will it just be blindingly obvious when we get there?

Is there a landline no. there for emergencies? (Spouse is fretting about the possibility of domestic emergencies + no mobile signal…)

This is the left-hand turn you need to take as you start to go down the steep hill into the village itself (the centre is the last building on the left):

There is a landline in the centre - I can’t remember it off the top of my head, but I’m sure @Iestyn will be able to find it out for you :sunny:

For emergencies, my phone signal BT / Vodaphone) is fine, other providers can be very patchy. That means that if everyone has my mobile for emergency contact. then if they try to contact another phone and it doesn;t work, they can get me. For less than life threatening emergencies, a text message will get through to most phones sometime during the day, as we will be out and about everyday, and once you’re up on the top main road (or even at the top of the steps by the ganolfan for some), there is siganl for just about everyone.

If anyone gets to Tresaith and can’t ind the ganolfan, go down to the shop by the beach. The car park beside the shop is where we park, and the people in the shop will point out the ganolfan at the top of the long, steep steps. Don;t panic, you can drive there, and some will be able to park, but looking at Aran’s picture from Google above, the ganolfan (the end building on the left) will sleep 10 of us, another 5 or 6 people (at least 4 cars) in the stone cottage next door, and I think two flats in the closes building, mean that parking is not practical for us all.

2 Likes

Postcodes are of limited use in rural wales. If you have a satnav which accepts GPS coordinates, then 52.134312, -4.515618 will get you to within a few metres/yards.

If not, choose your favourite online directions finder (I use google maps), enter these coordinates in the search box, look for “find directions” or similar then enter the address you’re coming from

Here’s the postcode for the village pub, SA43 2JL, it’s one hundred yards before this on the left. Just tried with, AA route planner and it’s accurate.

So: drive up to the ganolfan to unload, then move car down the hill and park by the shop. Check.

Thanks for all the advice. Just have to get my desk cleared and pack and I’m good to go!