Big news - exciting times - finally, finally we're moving on other languages

This is currently very unlikely - it’s always been something that we couldn’t easily afford for Welsh, but Welsh is our central labour of love.

If we can get the financial side of things to work, we’d certainly be keen to offer this kind of support, and to build extra ways for social interaction - but as even the biggest companies find out, creating healthy and positive social environments online is a huge, huge challenge. It’s certainly not going to be a ‘near future’ thing (I have a faint hunch we may end up providing above and beyond like this for the Celtic languages only, but we’ll see).

1 Like

Celtic languages only would be totally understandable, and fair. Much as I wish success to the larger business, they must remain the priority because they are the heart of the whole thing.

1 Like

Excited to see Gujarati on that list :smiley:. There’s currently no decent apps for learning Gujarati, so it would be amazing to see a Say Something in Gujarati course one day :crossed_fingers:t4:.

2 Likes

Having currently spent over 3.5 years learning Cymraeg and now i regularly attend zoom sesiwn. Moreso because im finished teaching Irish for the summer. Im currently 6 weeks into learning Spanish and really enjoying practicing as i walk regularly. Hopefully I’ll get to use it a little in Spain on holidays in July. So hopefully by the time I’ve acquired enough Sbaeneg, they’ll be many more options to choose from.
Go raibh maith agat.
Diolch yn fawr.
Mucho Gracias

3 Likes

In old course 1 you said “you all” in English when the response should be “chi” in Welsh. It was really helpful, but you stopped in all subsequent material both old and new. Beyond that, I’ve occasionally thought it would be good to have a tiny bit of “story” to know who I am speaking to when doing SSiW. Clues in the prompt and a bit of context would go a long way when it comes to marking which form to use.

2 Likes

Oh, that’s really interesting - yes, we’ll definitely want to get there, and if all goes well it will be in the pretty near future :crossed_fingers: :slight_smile:

Diolch yn fawr iawn/go raibh maith agat to you @Alan-Clifford - it’ll be great to hear what you think of it when we manage to publish some Irish material, as well. :slight_smile:

Yes, absolutely agree, it’s just surprisingly fiddly to get it right and operational across multiple languages - we think we’re closing in on some good solutions, though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very excited about the prospect of Italian. I have been keeping my fingers crossed for that since I first heard you promise multiple languages were on the way!
Can we see the new app yet, or is it yet to be published?

2 Likes

It’s in the app stores for testing, but not on open release yet - but it’s looking as though that’s really, really close - and my understanding is that the Italian content will be ready this Wednesday…:slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

If you can use anyone to test the Dutch version (if any), let me know. Very much looking forward to seeing the new app!

1 Like

My son wants to learn Dutch.

2 Likes

Oh yes, me too, if that’s something that’s possible. I may have mentioned once or twice that I’m desperate to try the french course!

1 Like

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: New resource for learning Breton online

I did indeed, and I gather the content is ready and is just waiting to be transferred to the app - but the content being ready is not the same as the app being on open release - my current understanding is that when we first move to open release, we’ll be limiting the number of installations just to make sure that nothing explodes - at that point, it would be wonderful to have some extra people testing it - so we’ll announce the limited open release in this thread first of all :slight_smile:

We’re still aiming for the end of the month, but it’s currently looking as though it’s not impossible that we might be a little earlier :crossed_fingers: :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I am so excited. This is my birthday month, so if it does come out that’s my favourite present, thank you very much!

5 Likes

I’ll have to resist the temptation to delay it until it’s my birthday month :wink:

Eeek! Don’t you dare!

2 Likes

I’ve moved the comments about the Breton course, which definitely does NOT use SSi methodology, to New resource for learning Breton online in the ‘Other Languages’ part of the forum, as it’s not really related to the main topic here. (Thanks for the prompt @craigf :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

All very exciting. Will the new app include level 3 south on Automagic? Thanks

2 Likes

I was walking my dog on the South Downs this morning and listening to BBC Radio Cymru when @aran turned up on the Aled Hughes show taking about these exciting times. It was so good to hear the SaySomethingIn news being spread and to be able to understand almost every word but it was only thanks to SSiW that I could do so.
[Edit: It’s available on the BBC Sounds app if you missed it.]
Thank you @aran. Now I’m really looking forward to the opportunity to get to grips with my other life-long language ambition, Japanese

6 Likes

It just so happens that my wife is planning a trip to South Korea and Japan (maybe next year, or perhaps the year after if she doesn’t manage that), and I’ve said I’ll fly out to meet her in Tokyo at the end. So learning Japanese through SSi is going to be a joint activity, I think. And I will hopefully try things out on my Japanese sister-in-law to check we’re not being unbearably rude…

2 Likes