BBC Radio Cymru

Just caught a couple of seconds of, Iestyn talking on, Taro Post - no idea about what but I’ll put the link-up soon as…

2 Likes

It starts 42 and a bit minutes in: I havn’t heard the whole show today but I think it’s about child discipline.

1 Like

i wish they would get rid of Tomo. I used to listen to Radio Cymru in the afternoon but no longer do. He may have been suitable for local radio but he is certainly NOT suitable for National radio.

I agree. I’m sure there are some people out there that like Tomo but I just feel like he’s shouting at me all the time. The other week I was driving somewhere in the afternoon and I was going to turn the radio off as it was time for Tomo, but then I heard that he was on holiday and it was Ifan Evans instead. What a delight he is! He still had all the same things on the show that Tomo does, but he was really pleasant to listen to.

Me! I like Tommo! :heart_eyes_cat:

3 Likes

I like him too!

3 Likes

I like Tommo too, a bit of irreverent nonsense that gives me a giggle can’t be that bad!

2 Likes

I like Bore Cothi (esp. her voice) and she’s talking very clearly. Others are very difficult to understand, like Elin Fflur when listening to her in an interview.
Anyway, living outside Wales and UK, BBC Cymru is the only window to spoken Welsh language.

I started learning Welsh about 1 year and 3 months ago, and went through SSIW 1-6, all what BBC offers, ‘Ysbyty Brynaber’ I went through 3 times, finally I could understand most dialogues. (pity they didn’t continue the story…).
Bytesize is very good as well
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/welshsecondlanguage/contexta/

In my opinion it helps to learn and sing Welsh songs like ‘Calon Lan’ or ‘Dacu nghariad’, it helps to get the ‘flow’ of the language.
What I’m searching for, is how to find the lyrics of new songs (Y Rhacs ‘Gwir Gymry’, new songs from 10ynybws, Mirain Evans ‘Galw amdanat ti’, that one I’ve listened to so many times that I understand most words now).

1 Like

Great to hear the staff talking about working in the Black Boy pub. If your in Caernarfon this pub is a must see visit. Most of the staff speak Welsh and the locals are a total mixture of local characters happy to chat to learners: dust men to the famous frequent its bars…When I’m in Cofi Dre I’m here every night.

1 Like

And the food’s good there, too!

God!!! Post Cyntaf has gone over the top talking about, Eastenders, today…Does anyone get excited over the 30th anniversary of that programme? Worst Post Cyntaf ever…Yn hollol rwtsh heddiw. The real eastend was never that crappy
The road and weather reports were o.k though…

1 Like

I did ask Radio Cymru when they were going to get rid of Tomo. I received the reply that although he is not to everyones taste it seems the programme is quite popular and we are stuck with him.
Now I do not listen to Radio Cymru in the afternoons of Mon, Tue, Wed and Thur if I can avoid it.

The thing to remember about Radio Cymru is that it is the only Welsh language radio service it provides to Wales (and the UK via the Internet and satellite/cable media), therefore it’s programmes needs to cater for all people of all ages. This is very difficult, even to the point where Radio Cymru are trying to target this audience at the right times but are still favouring other programmes in the fear of their current listeners switching off.

I actually like Tommo’s show, but then (and I mean no offence to anyone with this next statement), I am still young enough to appreciate the concept of his show (I’m in my Thirties still). The show reminds me of The Chris Moyles Show on Radio 1 when he was still on the air. Since his departure, I rarely listen to Radio 1 since it’s daytime programming seems to be targeting much younger audiences than myself now! That said, I tend to switch off Radio Cymru when there’s too much political talk or if there’s choir music being played when it’s still the middle of the week (I don’t seem to mind this on a Sunday morning though!). But there are listeners who love this kind of broadcasting.
The point I’m making is, you just can’t please everybody! And it is just one show that is offering something to younger audiences in a coveted Prime Time slot (that as Radio Cymru has mentioned, is rather popular too), out of all the other programmes which are, in my view, aimed at older listeners - at least up until 7pm in the week when C2 is on.

I have said before in a previous thread in a much older forum that Wales could benefit from another radio station that is aimed at a younger audience up to their early 40s, where nightly programmes like C2 could have more prominence, showcasing Wales’ new music across all popular genres and introducing more new artists to its listeners, and perhaps Tommo would get a more prominent slot like a breakfast show, and other new DJs can step up to the mic and showcase their own broadcasting talents in the medium of Welsh. It will never happen with the BBC, because the funding just isn’t there!

So yes, while certain programmes are not to everyone’s taste, all tastes do need to be catered for, and all are volleying for a piece of ‘Prime Time’ too. It’s never going to be “spot on” as far as time slots are concerned either, but if a new audience isn’t targeted (ie the younger audience), the station will never survive in the long term and the idea that it could grow to providing 2 stations would just be a pipe dream - if not so already! We need to keep people of all ages listening to Radio Cymru, or our only national Welsh language station will eventually disappear!

2 Likes

I appreciate him, Gavin…loads of us old codgers dŵ’ dŵ dŵ, ia ia ia… :smile: There are those who said Siân Cothi’s show was lacking also: idiot! :wink:

1 Like

It could just be me but it seems as though Radio Cymru is putting more of their stuff on iTunes…which I appreciate very much.

1 Like

I enjoy Tommo. Really enjoy the C2 stuff too. Good music and chat (not that I understand a great deal of that yet!), especially Huw Stephens and Lisa Gwilym.

1 Like

Hello all. So happy that you enjoyed the lovely ‘Becca Bingo’! She’s still going strong with plenty of adventures ahead of her and the gang! Hoping BBC Radio Cymru will commission series 2 very soon. Please let them know how much you enjoyed her company and that you’d like her back! Twitter @bbcradiocymru or email cymrufyw@bbc.co.uk They need to hear your voice ! http://www.bbc.co.uk/cymrufyw/32115836

2 Likes

I know we don’t talk politics here, but I’ve just noticed that there are a few party election broadcasts in the Radio Cymru schedules. Only 5 minutes each, so not too much torture to bear. :slight_smile:

I might give the Plaid one a spin …

1 Like

Well, since I have mentioned Plaid, might as well mention this interview with Leanne Wood in the Guardian:

She is apparently not a first-language Welsh speaker, but is learning.
The interviewer mentions that she (the interviewer) grew up in a Welsh-language community.

2 Likes

Leanne Wood attended one of the early Tresaith SSIW bootcamps. She’s perfectly comfortable in conversational Welsh and only really qualifies for learner status when it comes to complex technical policy discussions.

5 Likes