Barry SSIW updates

@Sylv
Keep an eye on this thread as very accessible for you too.

2 Likes

I’ve heard back from Ffion at Menter Bro Morgannwg that the last ‘bore coffi’ in Llanilltud Fawr will be on the 19th July. In general, all the Menter Bro Morgannwg coffee mornings will be taking a summer break in line with the school timetable and recommencing in September.

Has anyone read Mynd Adra’n Droednoeth by Sonia Edwards? If so, you might like to come and discuss it on Wednesday 11th July at 7.30pm - or just come and listen to this group of first language and fluent speakers. The group has been running intermittently in the Palmerston Centre, and will also be discussing books to read starting again in September.

1 Like

Here’s a reminder that Cylch Siarad is this week - Thursday 19th July 10.30 to 11.30am in Wetherspoons, Broad Street. We’re usually downstairs facing Broad Street.

Next week, on Friday 27th, meet up in the Cosmeston cafe at 2pm for coffee and walk.

The Barry Cymrodorion (Welsh Society) programmes are out! Please contact me for your programme card - price £6 same as last year. Also, please let me know if you’re able to help me as part of the Tea Team on one of the evenings. This would be very much appreciated!

The first meeting of Cymrodorion is on Tuesday 18th September.

1 Like

I know that some of you do not receive the regular Say Something In Welsh newsletter, and are not subscribers for the Welsh course. In which case, this message from Aran may be of interest to you, I had no idea that the subscription was still held at £3.95 a month… until the end of August, that is.

As most of you know, our current set-up is that Level 1 is free, and then continued access costs ÂŁ3.95 a month.

We’ve always been conscious that we’re not doing as much as we’d like for our advanced learners - but now we’re going to be providing a 30 minute chat/transcript/translation EVERY week, that’s changing.

And so will the price. To £10 a month (plus VAT - we’re over the threshold now).

But…

NOT for YOU.

If you’re currently subscribing at £3.95 a month, we’re never going to change that. We refuse, point blank. It doesn’t feel right to us. We’re not even going to add VAT to it, although many of our longest-serving supporters and closest friends will tut loudly at us about that.

[…]_
Anyone who subscribes before the end of August will also be on the ÂŁ3.95 a month rate - for ever._

We’re going to do our best to reach everyone who is considering subscribing, and to let them know that jumping in before the end of August will save them almost £100 a year.

1 Like

Not long now before people will be flocking to the Eisteddfod in Cardiff, but for those who are looking for more opportunities to speak Welsh over the summer, here’s a couple of ideas.

On Mondays at 11am, a group is currently meeting in The Orange Tree, Hugh’s Garden Centre, Wenvoe. This has been arranged informally and everyone is welcome, whether you are fairly new to Welsh or wanting to keep from going rusty over the holiday period.

On Thursday mornings in August, the Cylch Siarad is continuing to meet in Wetherspoons at 10.30am.

Then there are the previously advertised Saturday morning sessions in Barry Central Library, continuing throughout the summer 10-12 in the Philip John room upstairs.

And don’t forget our Cosmeston Country Park walk this Friday 27th July, meeting 2pm in the cafe there.

1 Like

Think that might be Pugh’s Garden Centre, Wenvoe if anyone is having trouble finding it.

I will see if I can join you for the walk in Cosmeston on Friday, being as I live just across the road at the moment! (Hopefully moving back to Cardiff the week after the Eisteddfod!) However, we have three of our grandchildren staying for a couple of weeks so it depends on what we are doing on Friday - and also if my husband is willing to cope on his own for a few hours! He already knows that I am going to be off a few times for choir rehearsals so will have to cope single-handedly! :smirk:

1 Like

Thanks so much for the correction, Ali. Be great to see you again.

Hi everyone,
In brief…
August Bank Holidays are on Monday 6th and Monday 27th August.
Cylch Cinio – 31st August (see below)
Cylch Siarad – 10.30 in Barry Wetherspoons on 2nd, 9th, 16th and 23rd August (but not 30th)

The big event of August 2018 is the Eisteddfod Genedlaethol in Cardiff Bay. Here’s the link to see information in English explaining the new format.
https://eisteddfod.wales/tickets/day-tickets
I have heard some misinformation going round, but here’s the official statement:

You will require a wristband to attend events in the following areas of the Maes;
• Pavilion
• Y Babell Lên
• Theatre
• Competition Prelims (although some prelims will take place outside the WMC building)

Otherwise, there is lots to go and see and wander round for free. Wristbands are bought in the Millennium Centre on the day, unless you have ordered one in advance. Ticket prices are in the link but do scroll down to see the exceptions and clarifications.

And now back to normal service…
Thursday 2nd August – Cylch Siarad 10.30-11.30am downstairs in Wetherspoons, Broad Street, Barry

Saturday 4th August – Caffi Cymraeg 10-12 upstairs in the Philip John room, Barry Library.

Monday 6th August – 11 am Bore Coffi at The Orange Tree, Pugh’s Garden Centre, Wenvoe (as heard on the grapevine, not sure if it continues Mondays in August, so please post any information if you have it.)

Tuesday 7th August - Crwydro with Valeways. Meet 10am outside Coffee Cove, Barry Island.

Thursday 9th August – Cylch Siarad 10.30 -11.30am in Wetherspoons

Saturday 11th August – Caffi Cymraeg 10-12 Barry Library

Friday 3rd August to Saturday 11th August – Eisteddfod Genedlaethol
Maes D (D for Dysgu) will be in the Pierhead Building (the red stone one), free entrance. If you’ve never been to an eisteddfod before, I recommend going along with a friend and meet up with others who are learning Welsh – see more on this forum for plans to meet up.

Thursday 16th August – Cylch Siarad 10.30-11.30am in Wetherspoons

Saturday 18th August – Caffi Cymraeg 10-12 in Barry Library

Sunday 19th August - Three-booter walk with Valeways. “Gwarchodfa Aberddawan Nature Reserve” Meet 2pm, Rhoose Train Station for a three-hour Welsh walk which may have slopes and styles etc.

Thursday 23rd August – Cylch Siarad 10.30-11.30am in Wetherspoons

Friday 24th August - Cylch Cerdded Cosmeston – meet 2pm in the cafe for coffee and a stroll.

Saturday 25th August Caffi Cymraeg 10-12 in Barry Library (followed by a two-week well-deserved break at the beginning of September)

There will be NO Cylch Siarad on Thursday 30th August because there is a Cylch Cinio on Friday

Friday 31st August – Cylch Cinio 12.30 in Barry Wetherspoons (usually downstairs). For anyone who hasn’t been before, this is a double event. Welsh table and English table – non-Welsh speaking friends are very welcome.

So there is no excuse for staggering into September feeling your Welsh is rusty! As ever, if you don’t want to post here, you can email me on the usual address (or private message through the forum).

Enjoy the rest of the summer and… many congratulations to a certain someone who passed Canolradd recently.

3 Likes

September

The August wind and rain are pushing us into the season of mists and mellow fruitfulness already this year. The Cymry knew what they were doing when they named July as Gorffen-haf (the end of summer, an easy way to remember mis Gorffenaf).

Official term dates for adult classes in the Vale of Glamorgan this autumn are:
17 September – 14 December
Half term 29 October – 2 November.
The new course brochures are on display in Palmerston and the library. The contact number for Palmerston is 01446 730402.

So with August winding towards September, here is the calendar as far as I’ve heard so far.

Monday 27th August – Bank Holiday Monday, the Welsh group will still be meeting informally in the Orange Tree, Pugh’s Garden Centre, Wenvoe, between 11 and midday. This has been a great addition to the summer calendar.

No Cylch Siarad on Thursday 30th as we are meeting on Friday instead. But many thanks to those who hosted this weekly through August. We revert to our usual pattern of meeting once a month on the third Thursday of the month, from September.

Friday 31th August – Cylch Cinio meets at 12.30 in Barry Wetherspoons, Broad Street. We are usually downstairs, and as usual there will be a table for Welsh conversation and another table for English.

Saturday 1st September – no caffi Cymraeg in the library as the hosts are taking a well-earned two-week break.

Sunday 2nd September –Valeways have a 3-booter Welsh walk, “Gemau Cudd – Hidden Gems”, starting at 2pm from the Cliff Parade car park in Penarth CF64 5BP, official information is on the Valeways website.

Tuesday 4th September – Crwydro with Valeways. Meet 10am outside Coffee Cove as usual for a stroll around Barry Island followed by coffee and conversation.

Saturday 8th September - no caffi Cymraeg in the library as the hosts are taking a well-earned two-week break.

Saturday 15th September – Caffi Cymraeg is back, meeting every Saturday morning, 10-12 in the Philip John room upstairs in Barry Central Library. £1 for coffee, tea, biscuits and fun conversation, hosted by tutors. A popular drop in-drop out session.

Also on 15th September, Dyffryn Gardens (National Trust) open day, free entry 10am to 6pm. Why not get together with a friend or two, and follow the Caffi Cymraeg with a picnic at Dyffryn? It seems that if you can’t make Saturday, there is a second chance for free entry on Sunday (16th September).
https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/events/18323db6-c9f7-4421-be2b-d0abbfbc2c52/pages/details

Tuesday 18th September – 7.15pm the Barry Cymrodorion year begins, 7.15pm in the Chapel Vestry, King Square Barry. The speaker is the ‘amryddawn’ (versatile) Gwawr Edwards. I shall be going, so please contact me by email, private message or here on this thread if you want to come but don’t want to come on your own.

Thursday 20th September – 10.30am Cylch Siarad meets in Barry Wetherspoons, Broad Street.

I don’t yet have any information about Barry Merched y Wawr.

The paid-for reading groups in Palmerston will start again after half term. The Menter Bro Morgannwg coffee mornings don’t usually start until the schools are back, which appears to be 4th September, but please check with Menter Bro Morgannwg for details.

Please add to this thread if you have more information.

4 Likes

Wow diolch for all of these as was out to start a topic asking what’s around in barry! Gwych!

Barry’s great as there’s lots of little groups all over the place. If you’re available on a Tuesday morning, the stroll around Barry Island is a good one as you can move around so easily, talking to different people. I haven’t been able to get to a Tuesday stroll for ages, but I know it’s a popular option.

3 Likes

October

We’ve had some lovely weather lately even though we’ve reached autumn (yr hydref), in the month of October (mis Hydref).

We hear that the Wenvoe informal coffee mornings were so successful over the summer that they are still happening every Monday morning at 11am in the Orange Tree cafe, Pugh’s Garden Centre.

The Caffi Cymraeg is back, meeting in Barry library in the Philip John room upstairs on Saturdays between 10am and midday (weekly).

The Menter Bro Morgannwg coffee mornings have re-started and here’s the list:

Boreau Coffi
4 sesiwn wythnosol rhwng 11am-12pm :
Dydd Llun - Foxy’s Deli, Penarth
Dydd Mawrth - Caffi Academy Espresso Bar, Y Barri
Dydd Mercher - Bear Hotel, Y Bontfaen
Dydd Iau - Cafe Velo, Llanilltud Fawr

…and now there are two opportunities to get together in the evenings. One is in Llanilltud Fawr on the first Monday, and the other one is new – meet in The Park Hotel, Barry on the third Monday of the month.

Dysgu a Diod
Sesiwn sgwrsio misol gyda’r nos 7-8pm:
Ar nos Lun cyntaf pob mis - The Old Swan Inn, Llanilltud Fawr
01/10, 05/11, 03/12
Ar drydedd nos Lun o bob mis - The Park Hotel, Y Barri SESIWN NEWYDD
15/10, 19/11, 17/12

Here’s the rest of the calendar in Barry for October:

Tuesday 2nd October – Crwydro with Valeways . Meet 10am outside Coffee Cove and stroll around Barry Island before coffee (first Tuesday of the month).

Tuesday 2nd October - 11-12 Academy Espresso Bar, the Pump House, Barry (weekly).

Tuesday 11.45-12.45am Sgiliau Digidol – free sessions weekly in Palmerston. Improve your digital skills using your smartphone, tablet etc (help available weekly through the medium of Welsh).

Tuesday 2nd October – 4-6pm ‘ Clwb Ni ’ at Palmerston This is a free homework club for parents, carers and children who attend an Ysgol Cymraeg (weekly).

Wednesday 3rd October – Cylch Darllen 6-7pm and Cylch Scrabble/Crefft 7-8pm free at the Palmerston Centre. Start the new book this week (weekly)

Monday 15th October – 7-8pm Dysgu a Diod meet at the Park Hotel, Park Crescent, Barry

Monday 15th October – 7.30-8.30pm Clwb Llyfrau at Palmerston. This is a monthly book club where people come together to discuss the book they have read. If you do not feel confident enough to read or discuss a novel a month, you might like to come along and listen to the discussion.

Tuesday 16th October 7.15pm Cymrodorion ‘ Noson Bontio ’ . This is the Noson y Dysgwyr, renamed to reflect the fact that you are Welsh speakers when you come outside the classroom, so please come along and support this special evening. Stephen Powell, author and ex-dysgwr himself, is coming to talk about ‘Teithio ar draws y Cawcasws’ (Cymrodorion is monthly on the third Tuesday of the month, in the Vestry of the Tabernacl, King Square. Full year’s membership is £6, but come along for this taster).

Thursday 18th October 10.30 – 11.30am Cylch Siarad in Barry Wetherspoons, Broad Street, usually downstairs. Sorry there is no Cylch Cinio this month, but hope you come to this coffee morning, plus the weekly Cylch Darllen and Cylch Scrabble/Crefft on Wednesdays if you want to keep in touch with friends of the SSIW Barry Cylchoedd.

Saturday 20th October 9.30 – 13.00 Sadwrn Siarad in the Palmerston Centre. Costs £10.

Ring Palmerston on 01446 730402 for further information about this or ‘Clwb Ni’ (above) or to hear more about this year’s special offer on regular course prices – buy one, get another half-price. Or look on dysgucymraeg.cymru for course availability.

Saturday 27th October 10am start for a three-booter walk with Valeways. See the Valeways website for more details of this Welsh/Bilingual walk.

Please add to this if you know of other free or low cost ways to ‘cymdeithasu’ in and around Barry. Many thanks

3 Likes

Helo bawb,

This week (29 October/Hydref – 2 November/Tachwedd) is half term week in the Vale of Glamorgan. Everyone seems to be sniffling already, with a muddly head cold causing them to put their hot water bottle in the fridge and the milk bottle in their bed (or is that just me?). Never mind, there are lots of things going on in the Barry area regardless.

Weekly - Monday at 11am in the Orange Tree cafe, Pugh’s Garden Centre, Wenvoe for friendly informal meet-up.

Weekly – Saturday drop-in 10.00-12.00 The Caffi Cymraeg in Barry library, in the Philip John room.

Menter Bro Morgannwg Boreau Coffi - weekly
4 sesiwn wythnosol rhwng 11am-12pm :
Dydd Llun - Foxy’s Deli, Penarth
Dydd Mawrth - Caffi Academy Espresso Bar, Y Barri
Dydd Mercher - Bear Hotel, Y Bontfaen
Dydd Iau - Cafe Velo, Llanilltud Fawr

Monthly events:

Menter Bro Morgannwg Dysgu a Diod - monthly
Sesiwn sgwrsio misol gyda’r nos 7-8pm:
Ar nos Lun cyntaf pob mis - The Old Swan Inn, Llanilltud Fawr
05/11, 03/12
Ar drydedd nos Lun o bob mis - The Park Hotel, Y Barri
19/11, 17/12

Monday 6 November - Crwydro with Valeways, Meet 10am outside Coffee Cove and stroll around Barry Island before coffee (first Tuesday of the month).

Thursday 15th November – 10.30am Cylch Siarad in Barry Wetherspoons (third Thursday of the month)

Tuesday 20 November – 7.15pm Cymrodorion in the vestry of the Tabernacl, King Square (down the outside steps. Speaker: Sian Rhiannon “Golwg personol ar Idris Davies, Rhymni” (third Tuesday of the month).

What has happened to the Cylch Darllen? As there is now a formal tutor, it is being absorbed into the Palmerston system. *All classes start straight after half term” I hope that anyone who came along and enjoyed our own sessions will continue to support one of the Palmerston novel-reading classes. There are a range of levels available.

The cost is ÂŁ20 for 10 hours but this includes the price of the book. Ring for more details: 01446 730402 either for the Palmerston Centre classes below, or others in the Vale of Glamorgan not listed here.

Lefel Mynediad: Fridays 11:30-12:30

Lefel Sylfaen: Wednesdays 18:00-19:00,

Lefel Sylfaen a Chanolradd: Wednesdays, 9:30-10:30

Lefel Canolradd/Uwch: Wednesdays 10:30-11:30

Lefel Uwch: Wednesdays 18:00-19:00

There is also an informal free book club meeting at Palmerston to discuss a different novel every month, For fluent Welsh speakers, meeting once a month, 19.30-20.30. Please phone Palmerston for the next date if you’re interested.

Finally, for anyone confused by the display as you walked in Barry Library this week – a splendid artistic waterfall of crocheted Remembrance poppies, two lifesize skulls and a big poster wishing you a Happy Halloween… go and buy a ‘man-size’(!) box of tissues and take your hot-water bottle out of the fridge. Life’s normal service is bound to be resumed next week. Happy clock-change to you all and please post any corrections to the above or add more as necessary. Diolch.

1 Like

Diolch, does this mean the cylch darllen I’ve attended on Weds has now been absorbed? Not a problem if it has it just means I may go to a morning one instead. :blush:

Yes, that’s what has happened. It’s still there at the same time, but it will cost the same as the other classes and you do get the book included. All these classes depend on enough people turning up to justify them, of course. I hope you find whatever’s good for you.

Thanks, I still have a book from last week so will turn up for that class but may try a few to make sure I’m in at least one ha. I missed the last wetherspoons but will hopefully make the next one. :grinning:

I’m really out of the loop. How many are turning up for the session? I didn’t realise you’d got as far as a book. Great to hear you’ll be around for Wetherspoons. I’m hoping to rejoin in around six months. Sadly the course I’m on is mornings this year, but could be afternoons next year (or am I kidding myself?)

There’s around five/six from your old class. We finished one (learners) book of short stories and chose another last week. I will update you after I next attend as to what is going on.
Enjoy the course. Hopefully I will still be around for a short while when you finish. Thanks again for keeping us posted on what’s happening in Barry. :slight_smile:️

That’s pretty good. Thanks, Phil. Usually they have not had Uwch reading as part of the offer, so I will be pleased at our contribution if it holds on. So many people drift away once they’ve done the basics.

1 Like

Countdown to Christmas 2018!

Palmerston ‘Cymraeg i Oedolion’ term dates
Term 1 ends 14th December.
Term 2 dates:14th January – 12th April 2019
(Half Term 25th February – 1st March)

Saturdays 1/8/15 December 10-12 Caffi Cymraeg in Barry Library, Parti bach Nadoligaidd on 15th December to end the year. Back on 5th January.

Saturday 1st December – 9.30-13.00 Sadwrn Siarad in Penarth. Levels Mynediad to Uwch. Cost £10 Venue: Canolfan Gymunedol Penarth, Ysgol Sully Road, Penarth CF64 2TP. Creche available if you book ahead – 01446-730402

Tuesday 4th December – 10.00am Crwydro with Valeways. Meet outside Coffee Cove for a stroll around Barry Island.

Friday 7th December 5.30-7.30 Noson Nadolig Cymreig at Palmerston with carols. The cost of ÂŁ3 per adult at the door includes materials for the workshops, drink and mince pies . Choose from: Seasonal Art and crafts; Plygain Carol Singing Workshop; Bake your own festive Welshcakes. Also there will be a Christmas Tree Exhibition. Info: Palmerston Community Learning Centre, Cadoc Crescent, Barry CF63 2NT, 01446 730402

Friday 7th December – 8pm Gigs Bach Y Fro, £10 Acoustic set with Bryn Fôn. Park Hotel, Park Crescent, Barry. Book ahead with Menter Bro Morgannwg - 029 20689888 and pay on door, usually.

Friday 14th December – Valeways have an extended Welsh walk advertised around Ogmore Down (details on the Valeways website).

Tuesday 18th December – 7.15pm Cymrodorion y Barri, Noson Nadolig, gan gynnwys ‘cwis a mins peis’. I don’t think I need to translate that. Festri’r Tabernacl, King Square.

Note: There will be NO Cylch Siarad on Thursday 20th December – too near Christmas. But there will be a Cylch Cinio on Friday 28th December, lunch at 12.30. We extend a warm welcome to our Welsh and English tables – Barry Wetherspoons, Broad Street,

Please see last month’s post for other weekly informal opportunities to speak Welsh.

Nadolig Llawen i bawb!

2 Likes