Baby shark in welsh?

Is there anyone willing/able to make a ‘baby shark’ audio in welsh?

If anyone’s not come across it, it’s a very catchy children’s nursery rhyme which I think originated in a children’s english class in S. Korea. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqZsoesa55w

Just thought it could be a fun way to get the children singing a nursery rhyme in welsh.

3 Likes

Sounds like it could be fun. Perhaps we could start by putting together the lyrics? Most of it sounds SSiW stuff although I cant remember us ever making a sentence with shark in it :slight_smile:
Looks like it’s Siarc for shark, or Morgi for Dogfish, which sounds quite cute. Sort of Sea dog

Also it sounds like someone from Glamorgan :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Interestingly (well, to me, anyway) the English word ‘shark’, despite sounding perfectly English - like a cross between ‘sharp’ and ‘lark’ - is actually a borrowing from Mayan xok in about the sixteenth century. Till then, they’d only come across small sharks like dogfish in British waters, which were called either ‘dogfish’ or ‘sea-hounds’ - like morgi.

5 Likes

Okay, you win the internet for this week… :star: :star2:

4 Likes

Except that I’ve followed it up and it turns out that although xoc (apparently usually spelt with a c, not a k) is Yucatec Mayan for shark, it’s basically a coincidence. According to LanguageHat:

In this 2013 thread, Piotr Gąsiorowski points out that the Mayan etymology of shark is untenable: “Quite apart from formal problems (too early for hypercorrect rhoticity), shark is now first attested from 1442, nine years before Columbus was born.”
Shame, really. I got the alleged Mayan etymology from a book about decoding Mayan hieroglyphs, I think: it referred to lots of rulers who were basically named after the day they were born according to the Meso-American system of numbers and tutelary deities/totem animals/whatever, so it was full of accounts of people called things like “Number 10 Jaguar”. I suggested “Number 10 Jaguar” as a possible name for our firstborn, but my partner was having none of it, for some reason… :cry:
5 Likes

So, it’s back to Siarc Babi? :slight_smile:

Rhedeg bant doo doo doo doo, Rhedeg bant doo doo doo doo, Rhedeg bant doo doo doo doo, rhedeg bant :smile:

3 Likes

Oh, it always was - siarc is perfectly good Welsh, just as ‘shark’ is perfectly good English - it’s just a shame to lose its claim to being the only English word to come from Mayan.
And it’s nothing to do with me being bitter about being wrong, nothing at all :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m afraid I’m just going to have to ignore that correction. Sometimes beauty matters more than truth… :wink:

1 Like

Found this :grinning:

6 Likes

What a fun thread this has been for me. Diolch, pawb. My 14 year old daughter and her friends still occasionally sing Babi Siarc.

1 Like

I’m sending this to my family to annoy them, so couldn’t really leave out my SSiW friends :slight_smile:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=baby+shark+james+corden&view=detail&mid=F256C06360511AE0A852F256C06360511AE0A852&FORM=VIRE

1 Like

Well, thank you for that…now I know what you are all talking about (clearly my children were not in this generation). Now how do I get this OUT OF MY HEAD! :scream:

4 Likes

One my daughter found for her daughter, I hummed it for a while and thought it had faded, but you’ve just re-ignited the flame…:grin:
:shark:
Whatever you do, DON’T search for the Remix version :crazy_face:

3 Likes

When is SaySomethingInMayan coming out, then? :slight_smile:

2 Likes