Awgrymu v cynig

We’ve used both these words on the course to ‘suggest’ something. Could anyone tell me if there is a subtle difference or are they interchangable?

Many thanks

Andrew

1 Like

There is a difference. awgrymu is to suggest, while cynnig is more along the lines of to offer, so there is an overlap in some situations, but they are not interchangeable.

2 Likes

Hi Hendrik

How about this example then?

‘dw i’n cynnig dy fod ti’n i dwlid e bant’

‘I suggest that you throw it away’

I think that could also be said as:

‘dw i’n awgrymu dy fod ti’n i dwlid e bant’

Andrew

As @Hendrik suggests(!), if you drew a Venn diagram between the two words, you’ll find an overlap but they’re not entirely interchangeable.

Cynnig means ‘to offer’ but also ‘to propose, suggest’ (among other meanings), whereas awgrymu means ‘to suggest, imply, hint’, etc.

When a politician proposes a motion or an amendment in the Senedd, they’d generally use ‘cynnig’ rather than ‘awgrymu’, I think.

As for your examples, this looks, on the face of it, like where the Venn diagram intersects. Possibly the first one sounds a little more pompous (to me, at least) but I’d defer to a native speaker on that.

1 Like

Thanks @PeterG and @Hendrik. That makes sense. The example I gave was just one of Iestyn’s on the SSiW course.

Andrew

2 Likes