Automagic

I have recently re-joined SSiW to take advantage of automagic. I have watched the first hour and a half and can say I am enjoying it. However, for some reason I can’t get it on my mobile, which is a shame as I spend a considerable amount of time away from home, but time where I could watch automagic. I realise this is a technical issue, but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and managed to solve it.

What exactly do you mean when you say you “can’t get it” on your mobile? Do you get an error message?

In order to pin down the problem we’d need to get a few technical details, but the most important question is, are you able to connect to the internet when you are away from home? Because if you can’t, then I am afraid that using AutoMagic won’t be possible. If you are able to connect to the internet, please tell us what kind of device you have (iOS / Android), and which program you are using to browse the web.

Hi Hendik, I am using an android mobile phone. No problems with internet connections. I put in my email address and password and click on login but nothing happens. Access to other places on ssiw like the forum load with no problem.

Strange. I am on an Android phone, too. I am using the Chrome browser, maybe that would be an idea (if you aren’t using it already). Other ideas would be to try clearing the cookies and/or the cache.

If the problem persists, we’ll have to enlist the help of someone who knows a bit more about the inner workings of the site. (I think it might be @Kinetic , but maybe @Deborah-SSi can point us in the right direction?)

Thanks for your reply.

I’ve downloaded Chrome onto my phone and this has solved the problem.

2 Likes

I’m interested in Automagic! Is it just going to be the content from the three courses? Or is more and more content going to be added for intermediate learners who go to chat groups? Thank you! And good luck!

I can’t answer this question because I don’t know. Hopefully @aran will reply.

2 Likes

Thanks very much for the tech issue heads up in here, Rob, I’ll flag it up to the team :slightly_smiling_face:

In terms of AutoMagic content - it’s going to be our main focus from now - once we’ve got all the current content into it, we’ll be looking to add at least some extra content, but also to build a layer of listening work, and to try and create the beginning of conversational interaction, which I hope in due course will help people build more confidence for real life interactions, faster than we’ve been able to do before. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hey Rob - what browser were you using previously?

For others out there, generally, Chrome will be your best bet if you are having any troubles.

Thanks!!

1 Like

I too have recently re-subscribed to SSiW to take advantage of AutoMagic. When I log on to SSiW via my Mac computer I can access AutoMagic by clicking on the ‘LEARN’ button in the top-right-hand of the screen.

I have also loaded the SSiW app onto my iPhone. However, whilst I can access lessons, challenges and the forum via the App on my iPhone I cannot see how I can access AutoMagic

I downloaded Google chrome on my mobile. Logged into SSiW and then clicked onto Automagic. Works perfectly.

I have resubscribed to try Automagic and am enjoying it. However i am frustrated by the inability to go back a few minutes and redo a section. Am I missing something or is this not possible. It is very easy in a family environment to be interrupted or distracted, miss a short bit, and we should be able to retrace steps in such circumstances.

1 Like

I’m sure I read or heard somewhere that this was deliberate. Unlike the original challenges where you could go back, they don’t want you to do that any more. They want you to keep pressing ahead as all phrases are repeated over time anyway using the spaced repetition method.

@david-rees-4 the new AutoMagic app isn’t connected to the standard SSiW app. It’s a web app so it runs in a browser. If you start up a browser in your phone, you’ll be able to access it there using https://automagic.saysomethingin.com/

@guy-perkins yes, as @RobMorgan mentions, the app takes advantage of the ‘spaced repetition’ methodology to present the same material repeatedly. This takes away the need to go back and redo anything.

If you find that there is new material and you missed it while distracted, then just set the Feelings gauge to the left for a while so it gives you the maximum number of repetitions of already presented material. This gives you the opportunity to pick it up naturally, as you would if you kept hearing a phrase on the radio or in a conversation.

Remember that there is no need to aim for perfection, so if you get it “wrong” the first few times as you missed when it was initially introduced, that’s not a problem. You’re following the process and you will pick it up.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply and explanation. I understand the theory, but I still feel that I am stopped from doing what is perfectly reasonable, ie going back and re-practising a section. What about a lengthy illness or a long holiday when one cannot do any learning? You cannot refresh what you have learned. It just feels from my point of view like an unnecessary restriction.

1 Like

Diolch Deborah

@guy-perkins Aran is very sure that there is enough extra repetition built into the system to handle this situation well, so it’s not necessary. He just asks that you trust the system and run with it.

It feels counter-intuitive in a way as we’re all used to going back and revising and repeating earlier work - that has been the standard way of learning for a long time - but this approach is radically different, and we believe it will bring better results for a lot of people.

1 Like