AutoMagic Welsh is here!

We’ve got this flagged up as a priority, so it should be happening in stages over the next few weeks :slightly_smiling_face:

@danjackson it’s tricky to talk in terms of length because of the way it works, but if we imagine that you go straight through the material on the fastest setting (with the exception of Fire Rocket Dragon) or without using skip/revisit as soon as they go live (which should not be very soon), then when the Level 3 course is activated in AutoMagic it would take you about 40 hours.

For most people, with the most common patterns of repetition/speed, it would probably take closer to about 120 hours - we’ll get more insight into this as we collect more data, which we’ll be focusing on when the new apps are ready :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Brilliant to hear @aran I’m 5hrs50 in now and to hear I’ve got possibly over 100 hours left is great!

1 Like

Depending fairly heavily on your usage patterns and on our speed to complete getting the Level 3 content in there!

But also on the positive side, 2024 should see us adding new content for the first time in a long old while …:slightly_smiling_face:

Hello there.
I’m new around here so very sorry if this has already been asked before. I’m having a go at the free trial and really enjoying it. Loving automagic so far and finding it very accessible and easy to follow. I wonder will it ever be available to use offline or is that not a thing?
I’d love to be able to listen on my commute or walks without using too much data. I have downloaded challenges from the original course (southern version) for this purpose but am finding them fast and hard to follow as some of the words phrases used are different to those used on automagic. Thanks in advance, sorry for possibly daft question!

AutoMagic works in a completely different way than simply deploying static audio files. In short, SSiW’s server has all the available sentences stored on it, plus a software that tracks your progress and chooses material to present you.

In order for it to work offline, all that data and the software would need to be transferred to your end device (before you could do a single second of learning) and that would be a) a huge amount of data and b) a whole other world of headache, troubleshooting the software for all the platforms it’s supposed to run on.

tl;dr: Probably not :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks, that makes sense!

Hey there! We are actually working on a way to play offline as part of our new app development so look out for that next year :slight_smile: :slight_smile: But yes, as @Hendrik explained, it’s sadly not currently possible…

5 Likes

Hi Aran, totally loving Automagic and am 92 hours in, when I get to c 120 hours will it carry on repeating and practising the covered content or will it just stop before the Level 3 content is added?
Thanks,
Pete

Hi Pete - wow, you’re doing brilliantly! - are you on northern or southern? I gather northern L3 is moving along well now, southern still going through proofing - either way, though, you’ll get that content fed in automatically as soon as it’s live :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Aran, thanks for your message. I’ve just seen it!! Am on Northern and L3 has been updated. I am in utter awe of the whole process and this crazy, fun learning adventure I’m on!! I still can’t quiet believe how much Welsh I have!
Thanks and every good wish,
Pete

3 Likes

Absolutely delighted to hear that, well done you!

There are rumours of a little extra new content beyond L3, as well, hopefully in the next couple of months…:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Just a quick question, I have a SSiW account and currently working through the app, just got onto level 2. Is the AutoMagic a separate subscription or can I access both? Diolch.

One subscription covers everything, so yes, you can access Automagic. If you click on ‘Learn’ in the top bar of any forum page, that will take you to where you can get to it.

4 Likes

Any news on level 3 appearing on the south version please? Gagging to get going with some new content at around 40 hours in. Thanks for all your great work, Doug

1 Like

I believe it’s at the recording stage, which should be happening in the next week or two, so getting closer :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, as Deborah says, just need to get the recordings now… :slight_smile:

I’ve been having some trouble with the automagic tutor today. It was repeating a fairly normal review process but then suddenly started using multiple words that I haven’t learned. Is that how it’s meant to work? It feels strange and unfair to be repeatedly quizzed on whole sentences comprised mostly of words I have never heard before. I don’t really know what to make of it, and it’s quite different from the pattern of learning established by the previous sixteen hours of use.

That seems a little strange. You haven’t accidentally touched the ‘Skip’ button a couple of times, have you? What if you try using ‘Revisit’ to go back a little? Do you get back to more familiar material?

I just wanted to say thank you for creating AutoMagic. I am finding it the best way for me to learn especially after a break with the new revisit feature. With AutoMagic I retain the information better compared to your other courses.

2 Likes

I’ve never touched the skip button at all! I used the “revisit” button on occasion, when I felt I needed to tap the brakes a little bit, but that’s all.