AutoMagic Welsh is here!

@des-greene in Welsh the linking “bod” works a little differently to English. You can think of it as “timeless” picking up the timing from the context of the sentence around it.

With your example, you’ve got clywes i so you know it’s in the past, plus penwythnos diwetha “last weekend”, so the bo’ ti picks up the sense of being in the past. In English we have to specify it with “that you were going to” but Welsh doesn’t need it.

If you changed it slightly and said clywes i bo ti’n mynd i ddarllen cymaint â phosib wythnos nesa then the English equivalent would be “that you’re going to”

3 Likes

Many thanks for the explanation Deborah :+1:

3 Likes

Just tried the Automagic app. Is that new or have I just never noticed it? :sweat_smile:
It’s really good BTW!:+1:

1 Like

With the Welsh course, do you have all three levels up yet? And how long before Cornish is up there? Diolch!

Oh, thanks Des! It’s been there for a while now, but is about to be superceded by the new app, which is a more robust implementation of the same core approach… :slight_smile:

We still don’t have all three levels available in AutoMagic - and in fact we never will now, because we’re prioritising getting them into the new app - which we hope will have all our Welsh content inside the next couple of months :slight_smile:

1 Like

Glad the new app is on its way! :grinning: I’ve been unable to use the old app on Android. Any idea of the release date? Diolch

1 Like

Hi, I’ve been working on the automagic while we wait for the new app to be released and I am loving it! As it currently stands I am just using this for my learning, should I be doing other things at the same time? Will there come a point where it will be pointed out that I can try and talk to other people or is that something I will just notice myself?

At the moment I am limited to the fact that I enjoying learning Welsh more than anything - which is true :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s never too early to start using your Welsh in conversations, even if you only have a few things you can say. Real life conversations can be daunting, and it’s not necessarily vocabulary that’s needed, it’s confidence, so getting used to using what Welsh you have as soon as possible really helps build that confidence, and then when you have conversations you’ll pick up vocabulary from other people too. It’s also never too soon to join chats and sessions online in our Slack channels - ask admin@saysomethingin.com for invites to those.

Other things you can do is to ‘absorb’ as much Welsh as you can - find things to watch and listen to on TV, radio and online - but don’t try to understand everything (‘everything’ takes a long time!), just let it wash over you, as this gets your brain used to hearing rhythms and repeated patterns even when you don’t yet understand the words.

2 Likes

I’m sure there’s enough content in there to keep me busy for a couple of months until the new app is out👍
I’ve also been using it get my Spanish brushed up again before a trip to Spain soon. So I’m looking forward to doing the same with my very rusty German when that gets added!

1 Like

I was checking excitedly to see if the app was out in time for my birthday - alas, not yet. But we’re living in exciting times. I am watching the space.

2 Likes

Penblwydd Hapus! Happy Birthday!

1 Like

The best guess/assessment on dates for release is over in

(which is also where we’ll announce it when we go live)

Nicola, you’ve had the perfect answer from Siaron already! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Will Automagic be in the new app as well? I have Automagic the best way for me to learn Welsh so far.

2 Likes

Is there a certain level you reach before it starts bringing in conversational welsh? Like how are you today etc?

Hi Stacey - yes, what we’ve previously called the AutoMagic approach is the approach that the new app uses… :slight_smile:

@nicola-rowlands what you’re describing is what is often called ‘formulaic language’, which doesn’t work very well with the SSi Method - but everything we teach is conversational in that it will actually allow you to have conversations, rather than just say ‘hello’, ‘how are you’ and so on - once you start getting into conversations with people, you’ll find that you begin to recognise the formulaic language other people use with you and then be able to use it yourself :slight_smile:

Hi Arran

Thank you for the explanation, I will look into the formulaic language as a bit of homework on top of my SSi then :slight_smile:

1 Like

What I’d tend to recommend is that you don’t pay too much attention to it, because it will bubble up naturally for you as soon as you start getting into conversations - and ‘Iawn? Iawn!’ will get you up and running with pretty much anyone :wink: :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Helo :slightly_smiling_face:
Where can I find a vocabulary list to use with AutoMagic? I’m frequently forgetting new vocab. The app says I’m on 13hrs 45mins so no idea what Challenge that is. It would be very helpful to have an easily accessible source to refer back to. Diolch

There are Vocab lists with the Challenges, that more or less move along through the material in the same order as AutoMagic.

If you go to ‘SSi’ at the top of AutoMagic, or click on ‘Learn’ above, you’ll find the main SSi website. Clicking ‘Learn’ there gives you the choice of ‘Challenges’ and there you’ll find Vocab Lists. They should help.

3 Likes

Thanks Deborah, I’ll give it a try :slight_smile: