AutoMagic vs Challenges - Pronounciation and Phrase Differences

Shwmae Pawb!! I’m currently training at the Royal Welsh College of Music & Drama in Cardiff, so I’m coming back to SSI after a bit of time away to hopefully improve my ability to converse in Welsh.

I’ve been trying out the new AutoMagic (South Welsh) recordings, and I’m noticing that there are some differences in the way certain words are pronounced in the new recordings compared to the challenges, they’re throwing me off a little so I wanted to ask about them.

Sut & Mis
Some that I’ve come across so far are “Sut”, this was pronounced closer to “Should”, but is now being pronounced “Sit”. And “Mis”, this was pronounced “Meesh”, and is now being pronounced “Mees”.

I’ve gotten used to using the first ways, should I make the effort to change how I say them, or are both correct?

Ma eisiau i fi
Also, I’ve gotten into the habit of using “ma eisiau i fi” for “I need”, but I can see this has been subbed for “Dw i angen”. Should I make the effort to prioritise the use of angen instead, are both acceptable, and if so, when should I use one instead of the other?

I’m sure there are some others, but these are the ones that spring to mind.

Diolch!

No, there’s no need to change, they are all correct, just down to personal preference.

Again, you can use either, so use whichever comes to mind first.

The thing with these is that you will come across people using the version you don’t - and that’s fine, because you’ll now be aware of alternatives and so it won’t confuse you. Generally what tends to happen is that you start adapting to use the version you hear most frequently.

3 Likes