Asking for drinks

So I have learned how to offer tea OR coffee. How do I ASK for a tea AND. a coffee?

1 Like

Just use “a” (and) instead of “neu” (or)?
Ga’i te a coffi plz? or whatever the local variation is, I expect :slight_smile:

*Sorry, plis not plz.

2 Likes

Coffi du i mi!

A bit pedantic but you need an aspirate mutation after ‘a’ so ‘te a choffi’ or ‘coffi a the’.

3 Likes

I thought of aspirate mutation as well when I read the post but given how often it’s (not) used nowadays I wonder whether “need” is the appropriate word here!

In fact, the post I had in my mind before discarding it was something along the lines of If you want to sound posh, you would use an aspirate mutation after a and say “te a choffi”.

Though I seem to recall remember hearing that aspirate mutation is still most common with c and so even those for whom coffi a the or bws a thacsi would be insufferably bookish might still find te a choffi natural enough.

2 Likes

even more pedantic would be to point out that it is ‘de’ after ‘ga i’ :wink:

6 Likes

Ouch.
How about this:
“Te plis”
(rejoins queue)
“Coffi plis”
:laughing:

8 Likes

Ok, my previous statement adjusted …

"A bit pedantic but to be correct you need an aspirate mutation after ‘a’ so ‘te a choffi’ or ‘coffi a the’. :wink:

3 Likes

I think I’ll stop before we get into discussions of what “correct” means in terms of a living language – for example, is “dw i ddim yn gwybod” correct or do I need, to be correct, to say “nid ydwyf yn gwybod”?

1 Like

But I’m not saying what people in different areas say or don’t say, I’m just stating what is correct so that less experienced learners know and can make a decision as to what they use. That doesn’t make the rule less correct just that some, maybe most, but not all, people let it slide.

1 Like

I think it is handy to know the rules, because poor innocents come to SSiW after years of school Welsh back when and find nothing is as they remember! Someone who never did school Welsh and hadn’t learned the rules would find it hard to advise them!

I believe a better term would be ‘expected’ or ‘normal’, rather than ‘correct’. In written language, after ‘a’, an aspirate mutation is normal, but in spoken language, its absence is not totally unexpected. ‘Nid ydwyf yn gwybod’, well, I never :smile:

1 Like

Thanks all. As for the mutation I’m sure my accent will be so rubbish they won’t be able to tell what I’m doing.

1 Like

Best ask for wine, anyway…

6 Likes