Asking about plans for Level 3

Sorry I’m not sure how to write things on the forum for Spanish so if this is the wrong place please forgive me. I just wanted to say that it is a very long time since a new lesson since No 25 of Level 2 has been put up and wondered if there were any plans for more or a Level 3?

1 Like

Hi Maeve - just gave this its own topic (which you can do by going here: https://forum.saysomethingin.com/c/spanish and clicking on ‘+ New Topic’ in the top right hand corner :slight_smile: )…

Yes, we do have plans for Level 3 - but they need our new piece of course creation tool software to be ready to go - it’s getting very close (we’ve built material for Manx and Welsh Level 3 with it) but we’re doing a couple of final fixes to it at the moment - I’m hoping that work will start on Level 3 Spanish next month… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi again Aran, still waiting patiently for Level 3 . Any good news on that ???

I’m afraid not, Maeve - we’ve been hitting some very difficult stuff with the course creation tool - nothing terminal, but with only one developer, the time implications get serious for us very quickly - I’m currently hoping it won’t be all that much longer, but I’ll be pleased/relieved if we’re ready before the end of the year… :frowning:

I’m joining Maeve in the queue here for level 3 , and hoping that it’s not too far away, but not before saying (again) how much I have enjoyed L1 and 2, and that I feel that I have learnt so much more by this method than I would have following a traditional course.
Anyway, I am going to South America next week, and that will be the real test for me, so I’ll be able to see how I get on there!
Please update us on the current prospects for L3.

Diolch yn fawr,
Emyr

1 Like

Good luck - hope you have a great time!

We’ve been generating very, very little cash-flow from the Spanish course - so it’s really going to be dependent on continuing to grow the Welsh course to the point where we can put the extra money into building more Spanish stuff. It’s a long, painful process - but I’m hoping we’ll be able to put enough time/money in to build Level 3 this year - we’ll be ready on the technological side of things, we just need the cash… :slight_smile:

Hi Aran, have you ever considered crowdfunding further development? I mean using something like Kickstarter etc? You’d get a huge number of recommendations from current and past SSIW users…

2 Likes

Hi Incertus! and thanks for that :slight_smile: Yes, it’s something we’ve thought about - particularly while we’ve been slogging away over the last three or four years on the course creation software that we hope will make the whole process faster and better… but it’s always felt as though we were shooting in the dark a bit too much…

But I think this year, once we’ve got the new 6 month course up and running, we should be able to sit down and figure out a more precise ‘£x gets y lessons’ kind of structure - at which stage, I think we can start to run a range of Kickstarters - but we do need to be confident that the course creation software is behaving as well as we hope by that point - which fingers crossed I think is likely to be the case by about the summer… :slight_smile:

I am sorry to hear about the lack of support for SSI Spanish and delay in producing the Spanish Level 3 Course. I have following:

1. In my case, I think your SSI Spanish course methodology is the best of all others, and I emailed to tell you way back when the old course was available. So why haven’t I finished the new SSI Spanish Level 2?, I guess I am easily distracted by the next best thing. I am barraged by ‘new Spanish courses’ on a weekly to monthly basis. The competition for Spanish learning programs is enormous and constantly is advertising by Google ads or emails. For example with the other system you have stated that you like ‘Synergy Spanish’, probably as it’s also a learning by speaking course. I receive/see their advertisements on a daily basis, probably via Google ads, even when I am on a local internet news spread here in USA. However, one would have to go through five or six of their level modules to match SSI’s Level 2.
  2. How do/can I support SSI Spanish as a Spanish only learner!? By the time I was ready to order Level 2, 10-25 Challenges, they were made free! Can you reset my account so I can pay for 10-25? If not I will order the tourist course, or buy multiple copies of your Amazon booklet.
3 Likes

That’s really kind of you, Mike - thank you so much… :slight_smile:

I think probably the most helpful thing you can do is just to let other people know about the course… :slight_smile:

And at some point, we’ll either shift enough tourist courses, or start offering the soon-to-be-trialled-in-Welsh ‘6 Month course’, and have the spare loot to produce L3. I think it’s important for us to be open about the problems - but I’m also quietly optimistic that we’ll get somewhere with it this year… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not much of an ideas person so at a loss for any useful suggestions (apart from crowd funding which has already been mentioned) - but I can’t rate this method highly enough. I’m an admin for a social site on Facebook for visitors and residents of the Costa del Sol and I regularly plug the site on there - so will do so again.

I’m also doing a degree with the OU in languages (Spanish of course :-)) and we also have a Facebook page so I’ll add a link there too.

Just a quick question though, if I add a link should it be to your Facebook page or the website?

1 Like

Oh, thank you, Nikki - that’s so very kind of you… :slight_smile: :star: :star2:

I don’t think it matters too much - probably a bit easier to find things on the website… :slight_smile:

Yep me too

1 Like