Ask your FIRST question about SSiW in here...:-)

No, not most at all. Everyone feels like that. Well done you. Welcome. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

What a relief ,I canā€™t remember anything when I first finish.Later bits and pieces pop into my head and go round and round.its scary and exciting.

4 Likes

I think Iā€™ve chosen the wrong dialect to learn. Was just wondering how to change itā€¦ I think itā€™s wrong because I learnt in school that I want is dwi eisiau and on the tape it says dwin moyn

Youā€™ll be fine. Schools tended slightly to the more formal style. Moyn is normal in South Wales. Same as you might remember Rydw iā€™n or perhaps Wiā€™n. You can always keep the stuff that you learnt in school in your back pocket, for extra background.

2 Likes

Thank youā€¦ Iā€™ll carry on then. Learning more words canā€™t hurt I suppose lol

4 Likes

Sā€™mae Pawb, My first questions.
I have been learning with SSiW for 3 months and I am now on level 1 challenge 16. I have learned to trust the system and to follow the advice given and it seems to be working for me.
However, I have two questions;

1. To say " I didnā€™t " you seem to have two choices, nes I ddim & do ni ddim. Is there any rules as to when to use which.
  2. In challenge 16 a sentence reads " someone who told me that you want to read that book today."
    The translation given reads " Rhywun naeth dweud wrthaā€™i bod hiā€™n moyn darllen y llyfr na heddiw "
    I thought the translation should start with " rhywun syā€™n dweddodd wrthaā€™i ā€¦ etc.
    Helpu, os gwelwch yn ddaā€¦ Tom
2 Likes

As far as I understand it, the rule of thumb is that the nes i construction is usually used for actions, while doā€™n i is used for states. Two examples:
Nes i ddim yn deall beth wedaist ti - I didnā€™t understand what you said
Doā€™n i ddim yn gwybod hynny. - I didnā€™t know that.

Rhywun naeth dweud is correct, and it is functionally the same as Rhywun ddwedodd. It is also possible to construct the sentence with the auxilliary sy(dd) (which is a conjugated form of the verbnoun bod, to be), but then you donā€™t use dwedodd, but dweud instead (because you can only have one conjugated verb in a clause, all other verbs appear in their unconjugated verbnoun form). So Rhywun syā€™ 'di dweud wrthaā€™i would be just as correct and itā€™s more or less just a question of personal preference or simply a case of which construction is the first to crop up in your brain. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks Hendrikā€¦ I think I understand nowā€¦ Tom

1 Like

Iā€™m following the 6 month courseā€¦ Just finished week 2. Challenges 3 & 4. It seems to be going well so far! Sometimes I want to keep going farther with the audio lessons. Should I keep pace with the course?
I havenā€™t been listening to much radio in Welsh, just maybe once or twice a week so far. So Iā€™m thinking I could keep pace with the course and listen to more Welsh podcasts while waiting for the next week. Or I could push ahead and possibly overwhelm myself? :slight_smile:

Thanks for this wonderful course. My family in California are learning fun Welsh phrases from me everyday. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The key thing is the emotional journey - if you can press ahead and laugh it off when you get out of your depth, thatā€™ll be fine - if you think it might make you feel a bit down, then maybe just extra podcasts - youā€™re certainly not going to find the 6 month course a slow processā€¦ :wink:

3 Likes

Hmmā€¦we just wondered why this was the case too. Is it to do with the use of ā€˜efoā€™?

No, not particularly. It does follow ā€˜efoā€™, but then it also follows ā€˜iā€™ too. Itā€™s just one of those dialect things.

4 Likes

I was worried about doing another lesson, because i think , ā€œhow can i add MORE when there is so much that hasnt sunken in?ā€ But I keep wanting to do more. So Iā€™ve done lessons 6, 7 and 8 ahead of the course pace, in the past few days. And every time I am surprised that it still feels good and Iā€™m just learning more and more. Iā€™m not feeling overwhelmed. Iā€™m just wanting to do more. =) Iā€™m eager to have more to say in the online chats, so I think that is one main motivation right now.
Thanks for the advice. I will try and keep it fun for myself.

it is a very exciting process, and my mom even signed up for the ā€œone sentence in welshā€ emails. which was very surprising to me! But she said, ā€œ youā€™ll need someone to talk to!ā€ =)

7 Likes

This is something that we havenā€™t yet really solved - that the underlying truth is that the entire course is the ā€˜lessonā€™, and that itā€™s the process of revision that creates the memories - so you actually have to keep on moving through the course to get the learning to happen - itā€™s so, so natural for people to want to repeat a lesson until theyā€™ve ā€˜got itā€™ (which in every single case Iā€™ve met so far has meant that they have repeated more than actually necessary)ā€¦

One of these days Iā€™ll figure out a good way to explain it so that itā€™s clear from the very beginningā€¦ :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The secret is in the marination :relieved:

4 Likes

That makes me think ofā€¦ At the end of most of the southern lessons, I am being reminded to come back to the lesson the next day if I feel like I havenā€™t quite got it. Or to repeat it until I have answered it about 80% correctly.

If you want to encourage people to push forward, the end of each audio lesson is one place you could. Have a little reminderā€¦ Like, ā€œif you managed to say SOMETHING in Welsh in each gap, even if it wasnā€™t right, keep moving onā€.

I definitely donā€™t want to repeat a lesson, if I donā€™t have to! :smiley:

Nice to hear the perspective of the entire course being the lesson. Thatā€™s a really interesting way to put it!! Iā€™m feeling very motivated to finish this (very long) lesson!! :pray:

3 Likes

Yes, weā€™ve definitely got to re-record ALL those old intro/outrosā€¦ :scream:

2 Likes

Ohhhh, ok.
That sounds like a lot of work :slight_smile:
Well, Iā€™m massively impressed with everything youā€™ve put into this entire projectā€¦ Thank you.

4 Likes

We will get there, eventually - but itā€™s a real old chore, which is why weā€™re probably dragging our feet about it a bitā€¦ :wink: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Quick question about pronunciation. On SSIW, eisiau is pronounced something like e-SHAY, but on Duolingo, whcih Iā€™ve been finding great for learning vocabulary, it seems to be pronounced more like AY-shy.

Is this a regional difference?

3 Likes