Ash Wednesday--and Monday, Tuesday

Does anyone know the Welsh for Ash Wednesday, (which happens to be today–doing double duty as St. Valentine’s Day this year) please? It is not in my Modern Welsh Dictionary, nor Welsh Grammar :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

As a kid, growing up under the shadow of a steelworks, depending on the wind direction it could be Ash Monday or any day, but Monday was washday and my mum taught me some interesting words (that are also not in the dictionary) as she flicked soot off the once-clean sheets drying on the line.

Even more curious were the other kids who came to school late on Ash Wednesday with soot on their foreheads. Being ‘chapel’ so not into ‘that sort of thing’ I felt sorry for them assuming they must live even closer to the works than we did. Eventually I did figure it out, and must have heard every variation on a theme in sermons that recommended we give something up for Lent (starting today). However, as if by magic, sometime around the 80s preachers suggested we take something up for the 40 days of Lent (which apparently exclude Sundays as holy-days/holidays–nice!).

Putting that positive thought together with the notion that it takes 3 weeks to make or break a habit (is that a fact?), it looks like we have got a bit of leeway–so for anyone out there trying to set up a good SSiW habit, today is the day :kissing_heart:. OK, maybe tomorrow–you are 8 hours ahead ‘over there’ and there is always that leeway.

40 days… hm. I LOVE the sound of the new 6-month intensive and certainly figure that is a fantastic opportunity, especially for those of us who cannot make a flying visit for a bootcamp–yet. But for anyone not signed up for either, perhaps plateauing or just wanting to create a little challenge as a boost, here we go–40 days for what? A new word every day? A 5-minute listening practice every day? A Lesson/Challenge every day (including repeats if you like)? What could it be? There are loads of ideas on this Forum. It’s a bit late for a New Year’s resolution, but any day… Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, can be the start of a new habit. Oh, and I have heard it is excellent psychology to pre-arrange rewards… so whatever fits the bill for you every X days you manage your goal.

Good luck!
Marilyn

4 Likes

Dydd Mercher y Lludw. Comes after dydd Mawrth Ynyd.

Diwrnod cyntaf Tymor y Grawys ydy Dydd Mercher y Lludw.

The Sunday before Easter (Pasg) is Sul y Blodau

3 Likes

Interestingly 30th March 1980 was Sul y Blodau and was the day that 50 people were arrested for burning holiday homes in Wales.

(Interesting but very loosely relevant)

4 Likes

You’ve got me looking up stuff now!

Dydd Gwener y Groglith is the day to remember y croeshoelio Iesu Crist.

Then of course there is Dydd Sul y Pasg and is the start of Pasg that lasts until Sulgwyn (Pentecost).

3 Likes

Diolch yn fawr Anthony!

2 Likes

As late as 1980! I had thought it was over by then, although I do know my solicitor from Hereford couldn’t sort out Insurance for my Gower cottage in 1987 because of ‘threat of burning’, I pointed out where it was and my long association with the village, phoned friend, got number of her broker, rang them and had Insurance in minutes, amidst much laughter at the idea of Meibion Glyndwr prowling Gower!
To @MarilynHames I first saw Ash on foreheads when we went to York and I got sent to Convent School by snobby Mam trying to turn me into a silk purse! Huge embarrassment when I said, “You’ve got a smut on your forehead” and then found out they all had and why!

2 Likes

@henddraig
Mind Eryr Gwyn :wink: