Article in The Guardian "How Speaking Welsh Became Cool"

Yeah that is very true! And including the diaspora definitely helps fight that frustrating argument “why bother? Welsh isnt as useful as X”.

I’m very inspired by people like yourselves, who can enthusiastically learn Welsh from so far! Hopefully one day the Welsh Government will sit up and listen. It would be such a positive voice to listen to!

2 Likes

I find this is most easily answered with “But I never go to X; I go to Wales all the time!” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for that Anthony! And thank you for your persistence and passion which is infectious so must have inspired and helped folk you meet here and in your daily life. You are on the ‘front lines’ and good on you—keep up the good work please, because there has already been a turnaround and Welsh, or receptiveness to it is ‘catching on’.

As for those who challenge its usefulness… I’d turn it around and ask if those who challenge you had a choice between spending time on something they felt passionate about, that opens doors to making new friends, that keeps the brain active and gives great personal pleasure and satisfaction, would they do it? They might say ‘yes, it’s…’. At that point you can encourage them to pursue it, and just say, ‘For me it is Welsh’. It may not win the argument, but it may win you a friend :slightly_smiling_face:

Hwyl,
Mari

2 Likes

I think the diaspora and the interest from people overseas who have no family connection with Wales helps to boost the prestige of the language. Too often Welsh is dismissed as irrelevant/unimportant/pointless, but if people from other countries take it seriously, that surely must help counter those arguments?

3 Likes

If you want to see how cool Welsh is you should see the size of the ciw for Tafwyl in Cardiff today :ok_hand:

1 Like

7 Likes