Argentina v Wales 2018

Just started on Channel 4, in English. 3-0 already!
Pretty try! Converted in 8th minute. Can it last?no
No more from me… just watching!jat asking any of pur friends from yr Wladfa watching? Any of our friends from USA watching?
So, 10 to 23! Da iawn Cymru! Morenext week in Santa Fe?

1 Like

I was listening on Radio Cymru. ‘fel cyllell trwy menyn’ or like a knife through butter, to describe George North’s try. I was told to be careful about translating English idioms into Welsh, but there are so many of them!

3 Likes

Sounds logical (language-wise). Having said that, I’ve never found it easy to cut butter with a knife. :slight_smile:

The original version I knew was, “Like a hot knife through butter,” so that’s where you’re going wrong. You’re obviously not heating the knife first. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Given it was a hot day, there would have been no problem. With a blunt knife in the winter you may struggle

1 Like

Getting nostalgic now. My posh aunties used heat up the real butter on the hearth tiles.

There’s a thought. Many people don’t have hot water tanks /airing cupboards anymore, so where do people melt butter and raise bread in the winter?

I don’t raise bread (because I don’t make it!) but if I need butter spreading in the winter I put a small amount ina ramikin and heat it in the microwave for about 8 seconds.

We don’t have a hot water tank, but we do have an oven with a proving setting, which, as you would hope, works a treat for bread.

1 Like

Heno. Da iawn cariad bechgyn bach cochion!
And not finished yer!
Finished now, still 5 - 30, oh , missed something, still playing. Now fighting. Now reviwing. .Dear dear. Ross M a tad riled being strangled not fun. Red card it looked bad. But did not see all that had been done to him first and all this after game had, as far as i knew, ended! Made a try. Like referendum result refused! All tastes bad to me! Suspect we gave it to them to shut them up!
Rewatching.Still cant see why line out given after 80.5 mins! Suggestion it was 79min59sec when ball out. Ugh! And all that followed was justified by one second? In my day the ref’s watch could be more out than that!