Are those your children?

Hello! I have started Level 2 , Challenge 1 and would be grateful if someone could explain the construction of the sentence in the vocabulary list for ‘are those your children?’ ie Ai eich plant chi ydi rheina? I can’t imagine ever being able to put that together- where does ‘Ai’ come from and why are ‘chi ydi’ there …? A simple explanation would be great - grammatical explanations confuse me!
Many thanks!
Julie

1 Like

I think ‘Ai’ basically indicates the start of a question, I.e. no need to bother about trying to translate into English, and eich plant chi means the same as eich plant but adding chi gives it a bit more emphasis: ‘Are those your children?’

2 Likes

Thank you for your quick and easy to understand answer!
Julie

2 Likes

Don’t worry, I know a lot of people feel they’ll never string this sentence together. You’ll get there!! It’s definitely a tongue twister :smile:

3 Likes

Thank you!
Julie

1 Like

Yes - ai starts a question when it begins with something that’s not the verb. And it’s optional - you could just as easily say:

Eich plant chi ydi’r rheina?

5 Likes

Thank you for that - reassuring!

Julie

1 Like

Hi Julie,
That took me back in time, say 40 years. The A is an interrogative marker in other words to show its a question. Go with the good advice you have been given and ignore the Ai. I hate grammar too. Mal

A and Ai are two different words, of course.

A (+SM) is used to signal a question before verbs with endings.

Ai is used to signal a question before anything that isn’t a verb, and that includes VNs.

A dorrodd Horace ffenestri y tro 'ma? - Did Horace break any windows this time?

Ai Horace dorrodd y ffenestri 'ma? - Was it Horace that broke these windows?

Ai torri ffenestri mae Horace yn hoffi orau? - Is it breaking windows that Horace likes best?

Both can be dropped in speech. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Remind me not to invite Horace round to see my greenhouse.

8 Likes

He’s a blinkin’ menace… :confused:

1 Like

How interesting- I am learning such a lot!

Thank you!
Julie

3 Likes

If you watch the Welsh TV quiz show, you’ll hear the presenter say, “Ai dyna celwydd noeth?” (Is that a lie?) It’s more formal and makes the question sound more portentous and builds tension!

2 Likes

Does he not say

Ai dyna gelwydd noeth?

with SM?

Wow! You are successfully learning Welsh. Keep it up!

Actually, she says Ai dyna’r celwydd noeth? - Is that the barefaced lie?, so because of the article there’s no mutation.

1 Like

I thought she said “Ai dyna’r celwydd noeth?” with article but no SM - does that sound plausible? (If not - if no SM would be surprising++ from a native speaker - maybe I’ve misheard in line with my own non-native expectations…)

1 Like

With the definite article, she’s definitely off the hook… :wink:

Yes, no doubt it should be Ai dyna’r celwydd noeth?

A couple of points arising from that. Firstly, I typed it quickly from memory but more importantly, this is why I couldn’t use SSiW until the vocab lists were provided. I just can’t hear and remember such subtle differences from audio alone.