Are there any beginners who live in USA?

Hello all! I am just starting to learn welsh! I am pretty excited! Unfortunately I don’t live in Wales. I am actually from Phoenix Arizona in the United States. I was wondering if anyone here is from USA as well? If not that’s cool! I would still love to meet people on here to get more practice:)I am glad I found this. It is really hard to learn a language when I know no one who speaks welsh at all. I guess that can really make learning a little tough. Also finding ways to learn welsh is not easy either. Since welsh isn’t a common language in USA it’s been difficult to get help. But thank goodness I found this. Look forward to getting to know everyone and to become a great welsh speaker:D

4 Likes

Hello and welcome to the forum first.

No, I’m not in USA, neither I live in Wales. I live in Slovenia though, so in the country where Welsh really isn’t even a bit common language.

I’m glad you’ve come on here because here you’ll find a lot of people from the USA. @tahl, and @Sionned are fom there for sure. They’re rather proffessionals in comparrison with many of us the rest, but still they are always of great help when one needs it. @AnnaC is also one from USA. (I can’t remember all from the top of my head but you’ll find many more people from USA here).

So, you’ve obviously came to the right place. You might very well find out that someone who learns Welsh lives just next door to you. And besides, here are our Learner’s maps which @Sionned arranges and updates for us all the time and if you want to get your mark on this map you just say where she should pin your mark in the thread “The ‘Please add me to the SSiW map’ thread” and she will do it for you.

If you have any other questions regarding learning or finding speaking partners (in the very bright future of your learning) you can always come here and ask and we’d be really glad to hear how your learning progresses aswell.

Pob lwc a chroeso! (Good luck and welcome!)
Tatjana
:slight_smile:

5 Likes

Are you on the website? If so, click on FAQ and then on Map. My iPad does not show the map direct from the app, but if you google saysomething you can get the website and the map!!
There are maps for Wales, UK and Ireland, Rest of World and Groups. Some in Arizona. Not everyone in the Forum asks to go on the map? Have you? ‘The Please put me on the Map’ thread is available via the big Q at the top. Some on the Map have left the Forum, but you can try typing @forumname. Like this @annmariegarone84 that will let the person know you are trying to make contact. I got your name as part of a list after @ann if you type a name and get no reaction from the Forum, no list of names. that person has not stayed! Good luck! @Sionned who looks after the map is in the US, so may be able to give more information.
Oh - and Welcome - Croeso to the Forum!
EDIT I realise @tatjana and I must have been typing at the same time and she posted just before me. If I’d seen her post I would have known she did I much better job than I manange with proper links!

2 Likes

Hi. I’m in North Carolina. No one here to practice with either. Can we FaceTime?

I wonder doiPhone users in UK have face time as an option?

2 Likes

Croeso/Welcome @annmariegarone84 and @Darinda! I’m in the Northeast US. Like you, I don’t know anyone who speaks Welsh here either. But it is possible to become a Welsh speaker on your own - I’ve done it with the SSiW lessons and the help of the wonderful people on this forum. Lots of people here use Skype to practice with each other, too. (I don’t know about FaceTime, sorry!) Don’t ever hesitate to come on the forum to ask questions - there are loads of friendly people here, and you will be surprised how quickly someone will be along to help!

Pob lwc/Good luck, and be sure to let us know how you are doing! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello - I’m in the United States, as well. I just got Aran’s email about learning Welsh like a four-year-old playing football and it’s a perfect analogy. I’m not in a hurry to get a goal, I’m learning for the fun of learning, and here in the wilds of Indiana I don’t expect ever to meet anyone who speaks Welsh. I’m just having a great time kicking the ball around.

4 Likes

Hiya! I’m not a beginner anymore, but I am a Welsh speaker in Arizona! If you’re ever in Tucson or I’m up in Phoenix it would be fun to meet up for a sgwrs bach!

2 Likes

Hello @patriciadixon and welcome to the forum. Good luck with your learning and, as always, if something doesn’t stick or you need help, don’t hesitate to come on here and ask for a help.

Hwyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

Hi Ann Marie, and a very warm welcome to the forum… :slight_smile:

You can get a good idea where there are other learners by having a look at the map that Tatjana posted… :slight_smile:

But only people who ask to be on the map are on there, so it’s always worth asking on the forum in general as well… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello!

I’m not in the US, but I’m in Canada, and beyond a few small groups, there’s not a lot of Welsh speakers here too.

I’m wondering if there might be a branch of the St. David’s Society near you? I found one in my city, though I haven’t had the chance to go yet. Also, Google does say that there is a Welsh League of Arizona (http://www.welshleagueofarizona.org/links.html), so maybe you can find some resources there, too?

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Hello @SarahDawn. I see you’re prety new on this forum too, so welcome on here (although I sense you’re not prety new to learning with us (am I right?)).

i see you don’t need encouragement to ask questions here on this forum so Croeso mawr ac pob lwc. (Big welcome and good luck!) is all I need to say. :slight_smile:

Hwyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello!

So I’m relatively new to the SSIW program. I’ve been exploring for a bit, but only recently jumped into the program (and the forum proper!)

Thanks for the good luck wishes! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Another way you might find more Welsh speakers is through the new free app - Amikumu. It’s available on Android and iOS and aims to help people interested in learning languages find others to speak to. It even has a Welsh interface available!

It’s still fairly new so not huge numbers of people using it, but it’s growing, and the more that register with it, the more chance you have of finding - “Oh look, there’s someone learning Welsh just 20 km away from me” - and sending them a message to get in touch.

1 Like

Hello AnneMarie et al,

I guess I’m not a complete beginner any more, but I do live in the States…Pennsylvania to be precise. And while I keep trying to interest others in my family to learn this fascinating language, I am for the most part faced with their disinterest in doing anything with it. My wife’s favorite phrase (and in fact her response to any Welsh overtures I may make) is “Dw i ddim yn deall”…“I do not understand.” She did break down enough to learn “diolch” and “croeso” when we visited Wales last summer, but other than that I think she considers it to be just my little hobby.

2 Likes

I’m in Colorado - Denver metro area… and I’m a beginner.

Hi.
I’ve been working on Welsh for a while but haven’t made it very far.
I live in Austin, Texas.

Hi there
I’m beginning to learn Welsh (again, as I learned in school til age 13, in Colwn Bay) and now live in CT. There’s quite a lot of people speaking/learning WELSH in the USA, and many groups of SSiW going on.
Contact your flight seat Welsh Society too, check out where at WNAA.org, on left panel there’s a list of Welsh organizations all the eve the World.
(We are the Welsh Soc of Western New England)
Susan Davies Sit

2 Likes

@Deborah-SSi I would love to share this “beginners in USA?” thread to our 6mther useful gems (or even to a private DM or my jottings) but cannot find a way to share the link to Slack… When I try I just find I have repeated the link you’ve already posted… :frowning:

1 Like

PS @Deborah-SSi I find the first few postings in this thread a very clear intro to maps…

I’ve posted the link to you as a DM in Slack. Hope that helps :slight_smile:

2 Likes