App not working

Has anyone else had problems with the SSIW app today? I am subscribed and monthly payment went for this month, but the app suggests I should pay for the monthly if I want to download the next level. Thanks

2 Likes

Not sure which version of the app youā€™re referring to, but if itā€™s of the android variety, everything seems to be okay for me. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sometimes this happens @kate-davies. In the first instance I would try to log out then back in, if this fails try uninstalling then reinstalling the app, if this brings you no joy, just email admin@saysomethingin.com, theyā€™ll sort it in a jiffy. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I had the same problem. It might be worth logging out and logging back in. I did that earlier today and it has been working fine. The app has recently been updated so that may be why itā€™s stopped working for you.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not working for me either since the last update. I generally access it using the app on my iPad, but now, when I open it, it opens on the correct challenge but is immediately overwritten by the Premium Content Lesson message. When I select No Thanks (I already subscribe), it goes back to the correct challenge but doesnā€™t allow me to start it - sometimes the cursor is at the end of the line as if Iā€™d finished that challenge and sometimes the start button appears as three flashing dots. I did manage to get it to work the other day by (I think) swiping back to the previous lesson and then back to the current one, but even then the double arrow jump backwards/forwards option jumped to the middle of sentences rather than the beginning of the previous/next one. Anyway, I canā€™t get the challenges to work at all today.
If I log in from the website in Safari, it doesnā€™t know how far Iā€™ve got. Shouldnā€™t it know my progress no matter how I access it?
Yes, I have tried logging out and back in again. I could delete the app and reload it but will it lose my progress record?
Apart from all that, I think SaySomethinginWelsh is wonderful!

2 Likes

Thanks everyone, Iā€™m on an iPhone. Iā€™ve already tried logging out and in again which didnā€™t work but Iā€™ll try a complete I install- reinstall and keep you posted!
Thanks

1 Like

Nope, that didnā€™t work, Iā€™ll contact admin :slight_smile:K

1 Like

I know that itā€™s popular advice, but itā€™s almost never helpful to delete and re-install the app - and in fact can be unhelpful since it will lose your progress.

What can sometimes be helpful is to quit the app and re-start - or just restart your iDevice.

Just to be sure weā€™re on the same page: when you say that youā€™ve logged out and logged back in again, you are talking about the ā€œLog inā€ at the top of the Setting tab, right?

Can you tell me what version of iOS you are running?

2 Likes

One more quick question, Nigel - you mentioned the double arrow jumping into the middle of sentences ā€¦ which challenge are you on?

1 Like

Kate - I have sent you a private message to follow up on this.

1 Like

Hi Lewie, Iā€™m on iOS 12.2. Yes, I did mean I logged out and back in again using the log out/in option on the Settings tab. Iā€™ve also tried that old computer support standby, turning it off and on again.
Iā€™ve just tried again logging out, switching off the iPad, switching it back on again and then logging into the app again. I thought for a moment it had fixed it because the start/pause arrow looked normal on my current challenge (Level 2, Challenge 18) in that it wasnā€™t ā€˜fadedā€™ nor was it three flashing dots, but the cursor was back at the start and the start button didnā€™t work.
Are you the SSiW support person or just a helpful bystander? Either way, thanks for taking an interest.

1 Like

Iā€™ve just gone back to the challenge. The cursor is now in the right place, a few minutes into the challenge, and the start button looks normal and when I touch it, the arrow changes to the pause symbol as normal but the lesson doesnā€™t start. When I then touch the pause symbol, it changes back to the start ā€˜arrowā€™ symbol as normal. Touching start again doesnā€™t help - the same thing just happens again.

1 Like

When streaming - itā€™s normal to have a delay between hitting the play button and playback actually starting. Sometimes it can take longer than you expect/want - it can depend on the quality of your WiFi or cell service at the moment for example. Iā€™d suggest: tap the play button, and wait ā€¦ longer than you think you need to (and resist the urge to hit the pause button ;-). Let us know if it eventually does start playing.

You can also just go ahead and download the lesson. From the Levels tab, do a long press on the lesson that you want to download - a little menu will pop up giving you the option to download the lesson.

4 Likes

Well, I went back to the challenge and I got the flashing three dots on the start/pause button (is this streaming?) and, after several minutes, the dots were replaced by the start arrow but this was ā€˜fadedā€™ and so disabled. I donā€™t think my WiFi connection is particularly poor. I can use Spotify and watch YouTube videos OK, for example.
I didnā€™t know you could still download the lessons from the Levels tab by selecting and holding for a second or two. I did that and it did download and, although I couldnā€™t then play it immediately, I did get it to work eventually by swiping back to the previous challenge and then swiping forward again. The skip forward/backward double arrows still skip to the middle of a sentence but I can live with that.
Perhaps thereā€™ll be a fix eventually. If you have any other suggestions, please pass them on - I canā€™t be the only one having problems. Thanks for all your help, itā€™s very much appreciated.

2 Likes

Jeff (@lewie) built the iOS app for us as an act of enormous kindness, and has gone above and beyond with supporting and maintaining it. We hope that he will get his just rewards before he goes to heavenā€¦ :wink:

3 Likes