Anyone from Pontarddulais?

Oh dear–yes, your messages are in my spam folder, which I never thought to check. So sorry we didn’t get to meet. Next time, I hope. And let me know if you ever come to New York! We live out in the countryside, 2.5 hours from the city, and you and your family are welcome to stay with us.

1 Like

I’ll PM you with a phone number -let me know where you fancy visiting and I’ll try and meet up with you somewhere. I mainly know Neath / Swansea / Aberavon so if there’s anywhere thereyou fancy let me know!

Yes, this - unless we make it over there in the meantime… :slight_smile:

My two weeks in Wales were a success. Figured out a hen-hen-hen-taid (he ran a pandy in the east of Pontardulais) and visited many locations from the 1892 diary of my hennain (a girl from Kansas, visiting her father’s relations). I also spoke some Welsh, including two long, stumbling but exhilarating conversations–one at Maes D at the Eisteddfod (great festival!) and one at a bookstore in Blaenau Ffestiniog, where people were speaking Welsh on the street. I found if I told people (excuse spelling) “Dwi yn dysgu Cymraeg,” they nodded and said “Da iawn,” but if I said “Dwi wedi bod yn dysgu Cymraeg am byti bump mis,” their jaws dropped, and they got all excited. So thank you, SSiW!

4 Likes

That’s really interesting - thank you for sharing, and a great tip for others… :slight_smile: