Anyone from Pontarddulais?

Swansea: a radio programme about an unhappy but significant part of Swansea’s history:

mikeellwood, thanks for the link to the BBC report. The Welsh is so beautiful, and I even understood a word here and there! Such a sad thing for Swansea. Good to know that part of its history.

1 Like

Yes, I found it surprisingly understandable (and I hadn’t been expecting it to be ).

Well, my trip to Wales is happening this summer. I’m going with two friends, Kristin and Sara, who both have Welsh ancestors as well. (They’re not learning Welsh–but I am finding my studies incredibly fun.) We’ve found Airbnb rentals around Bangor and Aberystwyth, where Kristin’s grandfather is from. Now we’re looking for an inexpensive place to stay in Pontarddulais from 2 August to 8 August. Closest I can find is Ammanford or Llandeilo. Any suggestions?

1 Like

Great it’s going ahead - hope you have a lovely time! :sunny: When are you going to be in the Bangor area?

We’re driving up to Bangor from London on July 27, then heading to Aber on July 31. I was thinking to do the South Wales boot camp, but it conflicts with a family wedding earlier in July.

1 Like

I’m not sure exactly what our schedule is around then (it’s turning into a bit of a hectic year!) but if we’re around we’re always happy to welcome learners for a coffee… :sunny:

Ammanford is SIGNIFICANTLY closer to Pontarddulais given Welsh roads! It’s not terribly far even from Swansea itself.

Hi Aran, I just noticed your message. I will send you a message just before I leave for the U.K., in case you have time for coffee on July 28 or 29. If not, I’ll be thinking of you when I’m in Bangor!

1 Like

Great - it might well work out! When will you be going down to Aberystwyth? If we don’t have anything else calling us to Bangor, it would be fairly easy for us to make it over to Porthmadog… :slight_smile:

We’re staying 20 minutes east of Aberystwyth in Aberffrwd, 29 July - 2 August. Then we go down to the Bont area.

So you’re travelling down on the 29th? You’ll have to go through Porthmadog, you see :slight_smile:

Checkout time at the cottage in Llangernyw is 11 am. Think we can swing it? The 29th is a Friday, by my reckoning. By the way, I floundered through a conversation in Cymraeg (understanding in a hazy way, pronouncing a few words myself) at the Te Bach after the Welsh Congregation service in NYC on Sunday. Everyone there speaks highly of SSIW.

1 Like

Awesome, llongyfarchiadau! That makes you a Welsh speaker… :thumbsup: :slight_smile:

Yes, that sounds workable - ooh - just got as far as actually checking the calendar, and the 29th is the beginning of the Eisteddfod, so we’ll be travelling south ourselves - should be able to figure something out :slight_smile:

We’ll be at the Eisteddfod on Aug. 4. Maybe there’s a way to find you there?

Ww, definitely - email, and we can sort it out thattaway :slight_smile:

Hi, I am the American chasing down my great-grandmother, and am now in Maesybont, planning to visit Oystermouth in a few days. When do you volunteer there? – Violet

Random Sundays but I’m on leave this week, just got back from the Eisteddfod so could meet whenever really after apart from this Sat 7th) if you want a native guide!

Actually we just now got back from the castle, quite impressive. We were at the Eisteddfod yesterday! But our last full day in Wales is Sunday, if you wanted to meet for tea or something. We’ll be staying in Penllergaer Sat and Sun nights.

Sorry to miss you, Violet - it seemed as though you maybe weren’t getting my emails? I was getting emails from you and answering them with text details, but maybe we got spam filtered or something?

Anyway, hope you had a lovely time here… :slight_smile: