Any SSIW meetup at the National Eisteddfod 2016?

Oh diolch!! You weren’t in the Pavilion in the early evening, were you? I was ever so impressed that you can talk about physics in Welsh!! I would never expect to be able to discuss any science in anything but English! As for Nia, that’s just like me going out with a member of the Welsh team! Friends at work decided all Welsh girls did it, based on a sample of 2!!!

Croeso. Not in the pavilion. I left the Maes at 5:30 and was back home at 7:30 pm. I didn’t discuss Physics on this occasion but I can do so when required. Incidentally, I have also worked as a physicist in Quebec where the working language was more French than in France. I had to explain my work to a visiting politician - now that was a challenge!

1 Like

I’m still having a great time at the Eisteddfod. It was great to see so many people from SSIW, and to speak with a number of you yn Gymraeg!

2 Likes

Just got home and settled before heading for a week in Llangwnadl starting tomorrow. I really enjoyed the eisteddfod as usual but it’s very stressful with two kids who really don’t want to be there. I could have mingled more so sorry about that. It was great to see so many there with some familiar faces as well as a lot of new ones, it really cheered me up to see the four leaders out in force too, brilliant for everyone to put a face to the voice. That red hat has been everywhere with me and despite getting a regular wash is rather disgusting, but I love it. :blush:

Next year will be different (the experience, not the hat).

3 Likes

Superb report, Huw - diolch o galon!

What a lovely experience. Thank you to everyone who made it happen. I think it’s given us a brilliant template for the National Eisteddfod in the future - and inspired us to make sure that we have the birthday party up and running in the spring again… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It was lovely to meet you Sandra! Good to hear that you’ve had another great day. Pippa

1 Like

It was great to meet you (again) @gruntius. Your family gave every impression of enjoying themselves when we met in the Science and Industry stand. The hat looked spotless to me but the beard could do with some work, I feel :wink:

1 Like

It looked lovely and red on TV, @gruntius! I thought it was new!! I hadn’t realised @Iestyn and Cat were there too!! Did anyone count you all?? Was it a record for SSiWers all in one place?
Oh, and was anyone there in Caffi Maes D when the last Archdruid, Christine was being interviewed. I think that was yesterday, but with TV it is impossible to be sure!! There was a face that looked familiar and I can’t place him!

I counted 30 at one point which included our parchedig leaders!

1 Like

Sori pawb … this is all I could get out of the crowd and I can’t spot one of the “bosses” … Where’s @Iestyn??? :slight_smile:

There are two main bosses at the background, supervising everything! :smile:
Siriously: two great persons behind the scene of SSiW who I had the honor to meet (among all the others) @CatrinLliarJones and @anon86454181.

Mind, there were so many of us we had to occupy two tables …

4 Likes

Thanks for these lovely photos @tatjana. I recognise most of the people shown but have a dreadful (seriously dreadful) memory for names.
Counting from the top of your post here are the forum names I am pretty sure about.
Photo 2 @brigitte with her back to us on right talking to @CatrinLliarJones. @vgh50 ? seated talking to a capped and bearded @gruntius standing
Photo 3 @aran with Angharad Lliar on his shoulders talking to @hewrop (me) in a red checked shirt. @Iestyn ? talking to @gruntius. @Kinetic in black in foreground updating the website :slight_smile:
Photo 4 @aran with A. L. still clinging on giving me a one-to-one lesson. @leiafee leiafee in pink hat with pigtail.

As I said in my report, I really enjoyed meeting you @tatjana and your company as we strolled around in the morning. I hope you will find some reason to come back to Wales before too long. in fact, if you visit Aberystwyth, Maureen & I would be happy to put you up in the metropolis of Ystrad Meurig.

2 Likes

Picture 1, at the front, on the left, but facing the wrong way, black T Shirt, red jacket wrapped around the waist. That’s me.

Haha! @Kinetic as a true “geek” always at work just as my son would be too. True techies …

Thank you @hewrop. To be honest, I didn’t read report yet. I’m on very slow to go back to “ordinary” life order and my rucksack and suitcase are still in the hall waiting for me to clear all things out and store them where they should be ready to grab for the next adventure.

Sorry @margaretnock. I didn’t pay attention to who looks where as I was in a bit of rush making photos fearing people might spread around soon so there are not all people on the photos. I could shout for one “together” picture but I just didn’t want to disturb sgwrsiau so eagerly put up mostly on one-on-one or little groups basis. Listening to iaith Cymraeg spoken by fellow SSiW-ers and watching you talking was event for me.

Thank you for every second I could be with you. Honour to meet you all.

Diolch o galon! :slight_smile:

EDIT to add:
@margaretnock it’s just a bit of you on picture 7 too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Diolch @tatjana for the pics! You had furthest to travel, yet you were showing me more than anyone else!! It is clear there were a lot of you and I still don’t understand why S4C didn’t notice and take the chance to find out about you and interview at least some! Those of us who watched Dal ati on S4C while you were at bootcamp, all recognised @margaretnock!!
Now, was any one @bryanroberts @pippapritchard ?? at the Gorsedd Circle on Friday to see new members honoured? I have rewound it three times and am still not sure what Liz Saville Roberts’ Gorsedd name is!! Anyone hear it?

1 Like

Well done @Tatjana for coming to our rescue again. Great to see these photographs
In Pic 2 & 6 I’m wearing sunglasses drinking out of a blue bottle chatting to @sarapeacock with the mustard coloured scarf & @Bob is in the light grey t shirt, also in Pic 7. Happy days!
Here is @tatjana & @netmouse @aran & an unidentied head.

Sorry @henddraig I wasn’t there Dydd Gwener but will try & catch up with it on S4C. I’ll let you know if I hear her name.

4 Likes
  1. Diolch am info on pics and added pic itself!
  2. I could hear the Archdruid, it’s just that I couldn’t be sure what he said! Every time I listened it seemed to be something different. The second part was ‘Llyn’, I’m pretty sure! My ears are not aging well!
    Glad you had a good time!

Diolch @pippapritchard, especially because I believe this is the only pic of Eisteddfod where you’d be able to find me on at all. I believe the “unidentified head” is @vgh50 in the conversation (obviously very sirious one - hehe) with @aran,if I’m correct.

@henddraig S4C’s pavillion was “miles” away from Maes D and also from where the food stands were (so from where we sat afterwards) so it is not surprise for me there was no one spotting us if we even occupied almost the whole Maes D after 3 o’clock and were there for quite some time. Me, being kind of walking SSiW commercial pano, would gladly say a word or two to anyone who’d want to know more about SSiW but I’d obviously need to order the T-Shirt of fluorescent green colour next time to be noticable. - haha!

I’m glad I was spotted by many SSiW-ers and a celebrity on Monday and that I could meet all of you who were there on Wednesday.

Just for the interest - I’ve given 4th SSiW card yesterday when flying home on the Stansted Airport to a cupple visiting Slovenia, of who the man was from Pontyprydd, confessing me that he doesn’t speak much Welsh although he’s Welsh. So here’s only one card left in my wallet which I’ll carry with just in case I meet someone with the interest of learning yr hen iaith!

What concerns me, mission accomplished. I took 5 cards from the desk at Bootcamp and I’ve given them 4 out of 5. My host in Caerdydd was literally blown out hearing that I’m learning Welsh knowing I don’t have any family roots in Wales and she has written in my public review on AirBnB that I’ve inspired her to learn more Welsh what really pleases me. If I one day see her on here … I’ll be extreamly happy.

Welcome Mel (in case you’re already on board) :slight_smile:

I also still just can’t quite switch back to Slovene or English when hearing someone speaking. Now even Slovene words sound Cymraeg to me and many times I tend to respond yn Cymraeg only realizing that people actually can’t understamnd me at all.

@Iestyn, @aran, obviously bootcamp worked in its best way ever! Diolch yn fawr iawn!

5 Likes

Wanting to add a bit more identification info, but suddenly doubting my memory… I’m pretty sure about these ones - please people correct me if I’m wrong!

In pic 2, I’m leaning across the table (green back) talking to @helenlindsay. Next to her on the bench facing this way is @Isata.

Pic 3-5: @SJ on the end in shorts and sunglasses. @sandramckenzie the other end in the other sunglasses, talking to @leiafee’s red cap.

Pic 8: I’m still in the same place, talking to @freespirit.

I remember quite a few other people too. Somebody was taking photos outside the Maes D too, so I hope there are still more to come!

4 Likes

I still haven’t seen the Dal At as I’ve been here all week, but will be leaving soon, so perhaps tonight.

Ooh, let us know which one it is and whereabouts!