Any Kernewec speakers in Japan?

We’ve had an email from Peter who is enthusiastically learning Kernewec (Cornish) in Kyoto, Japan!! He would love to know if there are any other learners or native speakers around to talk to. It’s a very long shot, but does anyone know anyone?

Please let me know if there are other Kernewek speakers in Kyoto or more generally in Japan. I’d love to try out my Kernewek and engage in conversations to practise and learn more! I’m wending my way through the brilliant saysomethingin Kernewek lessons. I love them! I’m at a stage where my a yll kewsel Kernewek, mes ny allavy y gewsel because there’s no one I know of in Japan or Kyoto to converse with.

Further to Deborah’s kind introduction, if there are too few Cornish speakers in Japan, perhaps someone would be content to be a pen pal in rudimentary Kernewek (as I progress through the early lessons on saysomethingin), and supplementary Sowsnek? Just after simple conversation mostly using what little Kernewek I can already understand. It’ll be markedly tedious at first, I acknowledge, but I hope to progress steadily with practice.
Also, if anyone who is willing to help intends ever to visit Japan, I’ll be here to assist with pleasure!
Best wishes,
Peter Trebilco

A Deborah ker.
My a dhallathas praktisya kewsel Kernewek nans yw eth mis lemmyn. A-lemmyn, yma tri den yn ow bagas. Ni yw bagas a dus a wra studhya Kernewek (Bora Brav, ha taklow a’n par na) unweyth y’n seythen. Mar kyllyn ni rosweytha gans tus erel, yth eson ni ow kul pur dha, my a breder.
This is my first written text in Kernewek. I expect there’ll be some errors, but the aim is to demonstrate that saysomethingin.com is a very effective way of learning, and that with the confidence arising from that program it’s possible with a bit of dedication to achieve a rudimentary conversation standard in almost no time (eight months, to be precise). Still hoping to meet more Kernewek speakers in Japan if they exist. I have linked with the Cornish Association of Victoria in Australia for Zoom conversation practice. Sadly, to date, covid has delayed the development of that relationship. Oll an Gwella. Peder

Hello Peder,
I’m still not able to answer you in Kernewek, but it’s on the list :slight_smile:

It’s great to hear that you’ve made so much progress with Cornish and I hope you can get some Zoom practice going soon. You are certainly an inspiration to others wishing to learn, and hopefully with Gwenno producing more music in Cornish and shining a light on the beauty of the language, there will be more interest.

I’ve passed your message onto the Tech Team in the hope that it may encourage an extension to the current course.
Best wishes,
Deborah