Any interest in starting a chat session in the South Staffordshire area

I’m doing the North. You ?

I love Norfolk. My mum’s family come from there. We are going to Wells mext the Sea for a long weekend on 10th November and going to the Thursford Christmas Show on the Saturday.

Have a great time and see you soon…x

Hi Susanna,
Safe travelling and have a great time in lovely Norfolk. I look forward to hearing about it, when you get back. In anticipation of our perhaps meeting up in Lichfield, when it’s mutually convenient, I’m starting to think up a few words of welcome in Welsh that I might be able to say to you. So, don’t be surprised if I come out with ‘Croeso i Caerlwytgoed’ (!).

I’m originally from the Rhondda Fach, so I’m sticking with the South course, though I’m fascinated by the pronunciation and accents of native speakers in the North and always enjoy trying to guess where people come from when I hear them speak on the radio/television.

Jason :wales:

O’ I am so happy that this has taken off and that you guys have found each other and are beginning to make plans to meet! :smiley:

I hope your little group goes from strength to strength! Pob lwc!

3 Likes

Thanks @CatrinLliarJones . It’s great not to be in glorious isolation here in South Staffordshire !! Anne.

1 Like

Diolch.
Doeddwn I ddim yn gwybod bod mae Lichfield yw Caerlwytgoed - Diolch!

I heard that! :wink: :joy:

It amazes me how far to the south Staffordshire seems to go.

If any of you were ever in the Stoke area, Catrin and I would have a fighting chance of joining a practice session (when we’re visiting my brother) - but you all seem to be closer to Sicily!

1 Like

Croeso :blush:

Hello Ann,

I live in Church Stretton and would be up for a sgwrs. Bridgnorth would be within my range

Prynhawn da Susanna,
I hope you had a nice time in Norfolk yr pythons diwethaf (I love the way this English automatic spell-checker changed my ‘wythnos’ into a snake!). Yesterday, I took a break from my latest lesson (Level 1 / Challenge 20) and, from behind the sofa, I squinted apprehensively and very briefly at the section on mutations in a grammar book I’ve bought to supplement my SSIW activities. I couldn’t help myself. I paid the price. Apparently, Welsh place names outside Wales are subject to mutation. If we ever get the chance to meet up and I am able to welcome you to Lichfield, I therefore believe I’ll need to say ‘Croeso i Gaerlwytgoed’. At least, I think that’s correct.
Jason

Hi, that would be great. When would you like to meet ? Next week is a bit busy tor me as we are looking after one of our grandchildren. Generally I’m free other than Mondays. Anne.

Bore da Jason. Da iawn diolch, naethon ni amser da mewn Norfolk.
Hmmm not sure that is right! On my translation app Norfolk is Norfolk in Welsh so I’m sticking to that! I haven’t dared to look too much at mutations yet in a structured way - have too many worries without that!
I see Anne is interested in meeting up too - she has further to travel but that would be great. Generally Tues, Wed and Thursday mornings are good for me and Mon, Friday afternoons. I don’t know how that fits in with you?

Hi Anne I see you are up for travelling to Lichfield - would be great if the three of us could meet up. Tues, Wed, Thursday mornings and Mon, Friday afternoons are good for me. Good to see you on sesiwn Cymraeg - I need to come more but either life or nerves get in the way!

Prynhawn da Susanna,
I’m generally pretty flexible. Please feel free to suggest a day and time that’s convenient for you. Could I propose The Hub at St Mary’s (https://thehubstmarys.co.uk) as an initial meeting place? It has a friendly downstairs library (where talking isn’t a problem) and a cafe upstairs. If we’re unlucky and can’t find somewhere for the 2/3 of us to sit, there are plenty of coffee shops etc. nearby in the centre of Lichfield as alternative venues (e.g. McKenzie’s in the City just around the corner would be good). You (and Anne) have furthest to travel, so the Milky Bars are on me.
Cofion
Jason

Hi,

Susanna and Jason. I can do Tues 8th November. Is that any good for you ? Anne.

Hi Jason yes I know The Hub - had a look around the library and went to a Festival performance there. It should be a good meeting place. I can do the 8th November like Anne, how does that suit you? Bydd hi’n gyffrous siared Gymraeg gyda pobl go iawn! Dw i’n nerfus!

Hi Anne yes 8 Nov is good for me too. I am not sure how this thread works but you can see my reply to Jason above! Not sure how the journey is for you?

Prynhawn da Susanna a Anne,
Good to ‘see’ you both this morning. Tuesday 8 November would be fine for me as well. Please feel free to suggest a time to meet at The Hub that suits you.
Cofion
The Milky Bar Kid

Hi Ann, are you still ok for meeting up in the Bridgnorth - Quatt area? I’ve done my house move and I’m free most days (except one day a week when I’ll be working at Dudmaston, but not sure if it’ll be Tuesdays or Wednesdays yet). And hi Sue as well! I’m now living in Ditton Priors vicarage, so you could have a lift from my house if you wanted to come here, given that we could arrange a time convenient for all of us. Cofion gorau i bawb.

Hi, tbh the journey is a bit of a mission, but that honestly fine. I wouldn’t have suggested the meetvup if not. I’m really excited too and nervous !!

Good to see you yesterday - on line isn’t easy but we do manage to crack a few problems and it makes you think!
Re 8th Nov as you are doing the long journey you best tell us what time is best for you I think.