Answering "yes" and "no" in the present

Da iawn! Ti wedi dysgu rywbeth newydd eto. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mmmmm… as Louis says, 2nd person question (‘Wyt ti’n mynd?’) will give you Ydw as a response (‘Ydw, dwi’n mynd’) - but if you actually need a 2nd person response, you’ll need to shift:

‘Ydw i’n gallu gwneud o?’

‘Wyt, rwyt ti’n gallu gwneud o.’

:sunny:

3 Likes

So might Her Brittanic Majesty (and I don’t mean Thatcher) :wink:

2 Likes

And Queen Victoria might have replied “Nac ydyn” on being asked whether she liked the joke.

2 Likes

Thank you for this. I knew here’s something more to it. :slight_smile:
Diolch.

1 Like

Coming to think of it, I actually don’t remember covering the 2nd person responses in this way? I’ve learned something today. diolch!

2 Likes

Yup. I don’t remember this either, but I didn’t finish Course 2 yet and 3rd is somewhere on the horizon for me. If I encounter this I’ll tell you. :slight_smile:

I’ve completed all available lessons (in the southern courses) and I’ve never encountered this response. I’ve started to follow the new Northern course now while the new Southern challenges are in development, but then I pick up new ways to use Cymraeg a lot now I’m working in the capital :blush:

1 Like

I don’t go via English any more but in the early days I used to think of the question-answer pairs
Are you? - I am (wyt? - ydw) etc.
A useful and comprehensive summary can be found here

but I must emphasise that this is highly grammatical and contains information that may be surplus to current needs and is probably on an SSiW proscribed list :smile: If you’re a grammar freak like me, you may find it useful, though.
(Scurries back into shadows yet again :wink: )

2 Likes

Haven’t they implemented the hack to the forum to X-out that word yet? :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Yeah, grxxxer, otherwise known as “how do I say ‘x’ in Welsh?”
:smiling_imp:

1 Like

N.B. gog for ydw is yndw, dwi’n credi?? :confused:

Well, you want to be careful with any stuff like ‘[x] is Gog for [y]’, because there’s so much variation - but yes, you’ll often hear ‘yndw’ in parts of the north… :sunny:

Diolch, Aran! I did put a ? as I wasn’t sure how general it is. I didn’t actually remember it or ‘o’ for ‘he’ from way when back in Snowdonia! And my teacher from the north said ‘ydw’ and ‘e’, but she was trying to teach southerners!!.