Anne's online bootcamp

Well I’ve managed to find the forum and hopefully set up a thread. Not sure I am up to all this technology. About to decide where to start lessons. Will I be able to find this tomorrow!!!

Well, it worked ;). As to where to start, it depends. For Northern Welsh, I’d definitely start with the new course (Level 1); for Southern Welsh it might be worth starting with the older course (Course 1), because the newer one isn’t actually finished yet. While the newer one is better than the older one, the older one is still really, really good, and once the Southern version is done, I’ll definitely be recommending that one over the older one to absolutely everyone.

Not sure I am up to all this technology.

You seem to be off to an excellent start! And this shouldn’t be too far down the left-hand side when you’re back tomorrow…:smile:

Well I did what you said Aran in the email, and started on lesson 1 of course 2 because I had done course one. I was a bit nervous in case I could not do it, as I am one of those people who think they have always got to go back in case it is too hard to go on, but it was fine. Just off to chapel to say Bore Da to everybody!

Excellent - you’ve done perfectly this far, then!..:star:

Yes, no probs. Also done 2nd challenge. I did the 2nd lesson on course 2 and it was a good job you said don’t worry about mistakes. The short sentences were fine, and I had no problem, but some of the longer ones are so convoluted that by the time I have pressed the pause key to answer them either I have forgotten the whole sentence, or by the time the Welsh comes up I have forgotten what my answer was!! I have resisted doing it twice and am now going on to lesson 3.

but some of the longer ones are so convoluted that by the time I have pressed the pause key to answer them either I have forgotten the whole sentence, or by the time the Welsh comes up I have forgotten what my answer was!!

That’s absolutely standard, and doesn’t matter at all, as long as you give it a shot at getting something out…:smile:

And well done for resisting the temptation to do it twice - hugely important - if you want to, revisit it after you’ve finished the Bootcamp, and I bet you’ll find it oddly easy…:wink:

Well lesson 3 seemed much easier. Now just going to do lesson 4. Also challenges going well as I chose my grand daughter who is 8 for the conversation and she thinks it is a great joke and ripe for embellishment!!!

There are few things more valuable than a child to practise with!..:smile:

Well I am still hanging in there, in fact I think you might be rather proud of me because yesterday I managed a whole telephone conversation in Welsh. The person at the other end knew I was a learner, but the conversation was quite complicated involving the collection of a charity collection box and I understood everything he said to me!!!

Da iawn Anne! That’s quite an achievement! Because of the lack of visual cues, phone conversations are even harder than face-to-face aren’t they, so that’s some impressive stuff! Da iawn eto! :slight_smile:

yesterday I managed a whole telephone conversation in Welsh.

Rather proud? Try enormously proud - because as Jon says, there is NO more difficult situation to use your Welsh than on the phone - it usually remains a real problem even for otherwise confident speakers, so that is an absolutely fantastic sign…:star:

Hi Aran Just tried Challenge 7 and it was pretty hopeless when I tried typing as by the time i had typed something the conversation had gone on. However, i was much better if I just listened and then replayed. I did not know of the existence of these podcasts but i will certainly go back to this website for listening practice. The course lessons suddenly seem much easier. Is it just me?

The course lessons suddenly seem much easier.

That sounds a lot like the process working…:star:

How do you feel about it all now the dust has had time to settle?..:smile: