Anglesey welsh-speaking hotels/pubs - ***meet up ***

Hi All. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good pub-hotel/B&B within 15 minute taxi ride of Holyhead port where owners/staff speak Welsh? Not looking at Airbnb as I arrive late on ferry. Thanks.

1 Like

Just in case no-one else replies… When I’m looking around an area I don’t know, I phone places that have Welsh names, where the owners’ names sound Welsh! So for example, Hotel Cymyran, where trip reviews mention the owner Bethan, or Craig Eithin. The ones called Sea View or Harbour Winds seem less likely to be run by Welsh speakers…

4 Likes

Hi @david-52. I’m very familiar with parts of Anglesey as it’s where my grandparents and great aunt lived and it’s where my sister currently lives. But I’m not, unfortunately, all that familiar with the hotels and pubs. I’m currently avoiding social media until all this election madness has passed, but once that’s done I’ll put the question out there and see what I get back for you. Just give me a couple of days. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just for the record, we loved the Four Crosses on the Outskirts of Porthaethwy (Menai Bridge). Great food and very friendly Welsh speaking staff. Admittedly, it didn’t seem to have accommodation and was on the other side of Ynys Môn/Anglesey.

Good thoughts @BronwenLewis. Indeed after your comment I took it a step further and dug out the ward by ward language profile of Ynys Mon from the 2011 census to narrow the search!

1 Like

Thank you @CatrinLliarJones and @JohnYoung. I was thinking of giving the Holland Hotel in Llanfachraeth a call based mainly on location but very happy to hear other thoughts

2 Likes

Call out to the people of Anglesey ** Tomorrow**