Android phone users - new SSiW app now available!

After a couple of trouble-free days with the app, it threw a strop today.

I finished course 1 lesson 13, and asked it to download lesson 14. It got stuck on 41% for ages. I tried quitting the app, but the download remained. I rebooted the phone, the download came back, still stuck on 41%. I uninstalled the app, the download wouldn’t go away, rebooted the phone twice, and finally it went. Phew. I’ve temporarily gone back to playing downloaded MP3 files again.

1 Like

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Are you still unable to download lesson 14?

The app uses Android’s inbuilt download manager to download the lessons, so you can quit the app or do other things while the download happens in the background. This is why the download remains even if you reboot your phone because it’s designed to cope with that.

The stuck download is likely to be a loss in connectivity somewhere - either your phone or the connection between the internet and the server used to host the files.

You can cancel an in progress download simply by tapping the download icon in the lesson list.

1 Like

I reinstalled the app this morning and whatever the problem was, has disappeared. Happy bear again.

1 Like

Great news. And thanks for the review!

Thanks to all the reviewers. We’re now up to number 7 in the play store if you search for “learn cymraeg”. Our listing is pretty shocking for “learn welsh”, but with luck we’ll shortly post a new store listing that might rectify that. (thanks to @joanie and @Isata for pointing it out)

James

1 Like

Hi James,

My husband asked me to mention that when the phone auto-rotates its screen orientation (portrait to landscape or vice versa), the file playing on the app will pause. Not sure if that’s intentional or if it happened in the older version of the app.

1 Like

I didn’t have that problem using Samsing Galaxy Trend. Do things vary from phone to phone? Except that login thingy I’ve experienced at the beginning when downloaded the ap (now it disappeared) I have no troubles at all.

Just for the record, nothing more …

Hm, we both have Samsung Galaxy S4’s. His has the rotate pause issue, but mine doesn’t. I’ll have him reboot and try again.

Unrelated, I just realized that there’s a Ddraig Goch icon in the status bar when the app is playing a lesson. That is AWESOME!

1 Like

To be honest I didn’t even observe what icons are there. What I need, that I take. It’s already awesome the app remembers where you were last time you went off.

Big thank you to James and everyone else involved with this. I’ve been using it for two days now, no problems to report . Simple enough even for me.!!!

1 Like

I put SSIW into Google play and got the app straight away, but couldn’t remember the login! Now found this and off to try it out. Thank you James.

1 Like

For the record: You don’t need to login if you’re doing Level 1 or Course 1. For the rest of the things (which are due to subscription) you have to though. Simple and perfect for every user! :slight_smile:

Interesting. I thought I’d fixed that bug ages ago. Do you still have the issue after a reboot?

1 Like

He rebooted and all is well now. It may have been a holdover from whatever previous version of the app he had before we updated it this week. Maybe rebooting cleared the cache/temp files?

1 Like

Perhaps. Did he install the previous test version?

1 Like

No - actually, I just confirmed with him that he didn’t have the Android app previously. Sorry about that, I thought he had an older version on his phone, but I was thinking of the iPad.

So it had been a first time install where that glitch happened.

1 Like

Would it be possible for the app to support Samsung’s multi-window feature?

Hi Ana

I’ve added it to my list of tasks, but I should warn you it’s a very long list!

James

2 Likes

James (@theblacksparrow), should those of us still using the older (testing) version, delete that and switch, or is that really not necessary?

Dioch yn fawr iawn, Mae o’n fendegedig .llongyfarchiadau i chi ssiw ac James hefyd.x

1 Like

It would be best to switch to the new version.

James

1 Like