Advise please

Hi guys i been learning Welsh now on the northern one … and I live in the north and understand mist conversations … but I recently was watching an episode of noson lawen … and the show was from the south of wales … and I seriously could not hardly understand it at all also on radio cymru I struggle with Tommo … my question is should I start trying to do lessons in the south with say something in Welsh or will just confuse me ?

1 Like

I can’t speak from experience of the lessons but i’ve spoken with a few southern speakers/learners and it was fine…knowledge of the differences helps.

1 Like

… or you could just avoid listening to Tommo :smile:

Seriously, though - I found it good to do the other dialect after completing levels 1 & 2 and course 3 in my chosen dialect.

2 Likes

I am repeating Challenges 1.1-end in Northern having been doing South, and find it is great! The odd glitch, but I remember a lot more southern than I thought and some from the North, It certainly helps with S4C!!

If I were you, I’d finish what’s available for the northern course, and then if I wanted to get some extra exposure to southern forms, I’d just do some of the listening exercises for the southern course… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Aran I have compleated everything in the north and now waiting for course 3 to come out

1 Like

You should have some news with that in the very near future… :slight_smile:

I’d suggest listening exercises from the south, then - but also, just listening to as much radio and TV as possible - the differences aren’t over-whelming… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I found doing the northern courses after the southern enormously valuable to help build up a mental map of the differences between north and south.

I only did this after I’d finished all the South stuff though. If you still have north stuff available I agree with @aran about keeping on with that - the differences are small enough that you’ll mostly end up repeating the same material.

1 Like

I was listening to Tommo’s show this afternoon. I think I understood as much of what he said as anyone else. I think most Radio Cymru presenters tend to use ‘proper Welsh’ or maybe ‘broadcast Welsh’ is a better term. With shows like Tommo’s which are more informal, I think they are useful to hear Welsh as it is spoken, rather than when people try to pronounce things properly.
When I finished the Northern Course, I raced through some of the Southern course to get my ear into the accent and the different vocabulary.

2 Likes