Advice on rolling my R's please

You can always make up your own little song or can bach. I know a fellow SSIWer who is quite good at this but wont embarrass them by naming. Anyway think of a tune you like or make one up, slot in the phrase and off you go e.g. byddi di’n to tune of Frere Jaque…etc…

Anyway I can usually do "r"s ok but have been interested in the suggestions which seem to work and even came up with my own:

Pretend you are imitating a certain kind of phone-ring i.e. “brrr brrr.”
Seems to help if you use plenty of breath and (chaps) use a high or falsetto voice (best when alone) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are you in Finland? Because if so, I guess you may guess what I’m going to write… Do you watch S4C? Would you like to? If so, have you signed the petition at

Yes, yes and yes, and I’ve signed the petition. Although when I’m watching S4C, I’m not watching it from Finland. :grin:

Diolch yn fawr iawn!!

I’m wondrin if I appen to ave a problem with H’s in English. appily enough I can speak for ours and never an H to be yeard - ow as at appened en

1 Like

It’s like in the song “Rollin’ on the River” :slight_smile: i kind of like this. A bit strange for one’s ear at first but then on it sounds kind of soft … :slight_smile:

1 Like

Talk to @Iestyn about it!! (Sorry, but bee still firmly in my bonnet!) :bee: :tophat:

1 Like

Hey!

I just have a quick question about the “R” pronunciation in Welsh. In the challenges, the male voice (im guessing native Welsh speaker) rolls his R’s very strongly, but the female voice just does a short “R”.

Is rolling your R’s more correct? Or is it fine to just do a short R sound.

Cheers!

No.

Yes.

If you can do it, go for it. Don’t worry if you can’t. There are whole areas where people don’t do it. My auntie, as I’ve mentioned before, makes a sound half way between a w and a v, she sounds fine (hardly ever speaks english so can’t be doing much wrong). :grinning:

Watch Gareth for an R sound in the throat …

1 Like

There have been many threads on this topic. I’ve taken the liberty of moving @hayden-topping 's post here.
Personally, I can’t tell my "r"s from my elbow. :laughing:

2 Likes