Advanced Content - Sgwrs 40 - Spoileriaid!

the Welsh freebies here are a bit different because “o’r diwedd” is a phrase - finally

1 Like

…and in particular, if the Welsh has a ‘the’ in the middle…then it will have ‘the’ in front in the English …

Car y dyn … means

Car of/ belonging to the man, or…

the man’s car

Rich :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh I see…doh! I misunderstood your question @gisella-albertini :smile: - I thought you meant in my example.

Thank you @AnthonyCusack - I’ll go back to my day job!

2 Likes

I actually meant in all examples (compared?). But after reading all the answers, my head is spinning and I’m not too sure about what I was asking any more! :dizzy_face:

But I’ll read them all again and I’m pretty sure diwedd, i’r diwedd will sound clearer…o’r diwedd! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Ok, sorry for my part in the confusion (possibly 100% of it :smile:).

So this example - because it has ‘i’ and ‘o’ included doesn’t have the same “of the/ ‘s” meaning…it is literally…

Came/ the journey/ to the end / at last.

1 Like

The journey came to an end at last?!

1 Like

T’mod, he’s annoyed by slow drivers… :laughing:

Have you ever seen the video? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

p.s. it’s one of the songs I’ve used to practice pronunciation but I didn’t understand anything until recently!

1 Like

“Troais i’r chwith, a meddwl am Edward Heath…” - one of my favourite ever lines!

2 Likes

I just heard Craig on Radio Cymru this morning - talking about the housing situation in Gwynedd - I was only half listening and eating some particularly good crunchy toast at the time ( Co-op, crusty cob £1, bargain and highly recommended :wink:) - he has such a distinctive voice - I recognised it yn syth!

2 Likes

Ah. I thought it was him :thinking:

1 Like

A guest? A host? Where? Curious now!

p.s. @beca-brown - genius! Although it took me a while to figure out, cause I didn’t know who Edward Heath was (like most Italians, I would bet). :grimacing:

1 Like

He was on Saturdays Post Cyntaf - near the end - last 5 mins or so…he was interviewed by phone for a minute or two.

He started off quite upbeat but ended by saying ‘whatever we do we’re going to fail!’…and presenter said, “errrr… yes it’s very serious…and now…let’s have a reminder of the news headlines, before we go!” :smile:

2 Likes

Excellent! Yes, Craig has the housing portfolio on Gwynedd council so is the go-to person on all things housing and planning.

1 Like

Hahaaa! That sounds like Craig!!! He doesn’t often sugar-coat things!!

1 Like

Great line isn’t it!

1 Like

Yes and it is an extremely serious subject of course…and one that bears some serious thought.

1 Like