Advanced Content - Sgwrs 39 (Spoileriaid!)

Hi all! Here’s the thread for the latest Sgwrs - lots of exercise vocab for those of you who are into running and training for marathons! Hope you enjoy…

4 Likes

Thank you @beca-brown I really enjoyed this as usual! :slight_smile:

Generally I understood it very well which is great (and thanks in no small part to your Advanced Content :sunny:)

There is almost always ‘something’ however in anything I listen to - elltydd was new to me (context meant it had to be hills)… anos too, although it’s sort of equivalent to haws so also guessable …my favourite though is ‘watshad’ - that’s a great word!

…,Is it brutalised loan word/ phrase… ‘watch out’ - or is it more sophisticated than that?- (sounds great either way :smile:)

But…

…no more advanced Content until you are truly better :face_with_monocle: :wink:

Rich :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes Brilliant, thanks, Beca. No more until you have fully recovered, though please :slight_smile:

And diolch, Rich - I learnt something from you.

Not sure if watshed is watch out or just a varied ending for (g)watsio. (to watch)

I had never twigged before that Anodd is An hawdd/not easy. To be fair, it has only taken me since the 1100s to catch up :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well I never! One of the many words whose origins make sense once you know, but I never realise until I am told.
Sue

2 Likes

Hello there! Yes, ‘elltydd’ is more than one ‘allt’, which is a slight hill or road going upwards. Well guessed!
‘Anos’ is indeed from ‘anodd’ - and means ‘harder’. You won’t hear it that often as people tend to say ‘anoddach’, which is actually incorrect, but that’s what people tend to say. You’d see ‘anos’ written, but not so much spoken. Cadi is a translator though, so her Welsh is pretty correct!!
“Watshad” - yes, a good west-gog word for ‘to watch’! You’d also hear ‘watsho’. Here, it’s used to mean ‘to watch out’, i.e in case the children injure themselves on the treadmill. But my kids say ‘watshad teledu’ for ‘to watch telly’. All good fun! Native Welsh speakers don’t speak correctly, and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise! :wink:

2 Likes

Hi! You’re right, gwatshad is so watch, and is like watsho or gwatsho. Here it means to watch out, but is used for just watching too, like watching telly.

1 Like