"ach" ending

I have come across a useful ending for saying “more of” by adding “ach” at the end of the word. I have seen the following:

HWYRACH = LATER
GYNNARACH = EARLIER
HAPUSACH = HAPPIER
AMLACH = MORE OFTEN
CYFLYMACH = = FASTER/QUICKER
HENACH = OLDER
TALACH = TALLER
BYRRACH = SHORTER
MELYSACH = SWEETER
CRYFACH = STRONGER
GWANNACH = WEAKER
YMHELLACH = FURTHER
YN AGOSACH AT = CLOSER TO

Are these words legitimate in spoken Welsh? Are there any other useful ones that come to mind?

4 Likes

Yes, they’re legitimate - it’s the standard way of turning an adjective into a ‘-er’ ending. There are irregulars of course (as there are in English).

There’s also the standard way of getting the ‘-est’ ending - for that you use -af, so hwyraf = latest, cynharaf = earliest, hapusaf = happiest, etc. (and again, there are a few irregular exceptions)

5 Likes

Typo alert - it’s cynharach with that h that sometimes sneaks in at the stress boundary of words to make pronunciation smoother.

Also worth noting that an alternative to agosach is nes.

3 Likes

Diolch Siron

1 Like

Diolch Rob

1 Like

One interesting thing is the use in place names. In English, Upper and lower (villages, farms, etc) might be the case, but in Welsh it is usually the -af ending. So uchaf (highest) also meaning the higher/upper of the two places.

Hi Siaron! I’m on a roll. I’d be grateful if you could please check that the following are OK (and spelling is correct:

CYNHARAF = EARLIEST
HWYRAF = LATEST (Maybe diweddarra is better fo the context of most recent?P
HAPUSAF - HAPPIEST
CYFLYMAF = QUICKEST/FASTEST
HENAF = OLDEST
IFANCAF = YOUNGEST
TALAF = TALLEST
BRYAF = SHORTEST
MELYSAF = SWEETEST
CRYAF = STRONGEST
GWANNAF = WEAKEST
YMHELLAF = FURTHEST
YNAGOSAF = CLOSEST
DDISGLEIRIAF = BRIGHTEST
SYCHAF = DRIEST
GWLYPAF = WETTEST
HIRACH = LONGER
HIRAF = LONGEST

Mostly fine, just a few notes!
HWYRAF = LATEST (Maybe diweddarra is better fo the context of most recent? - yes, DIWEDDARAF is in context of most recent
HENAF = OLDEST - a spelling variation needed here (it’s one of the irregulars), so HYNAF
IFANCAF = YOUNGEST - yes, particularly in the South but in some places you may also hear IEUAF, IEUANGAF, IFENGAF, and colloquially 'FENGAF
BRYAF = SHORTEST - this is an semi-irregular, so BYRRAF (the r doubling is the irregularity)
CRYAF = STRONGEST - typo I’m sure… CRYFAF
YMHELLAF = FURTHEST - you can also use BELLAF
YNAGOSAF = CLOSEST - this is an irregular. Closest = NESAF (or sometimes but less correctly AGOSAF)
DDISGLEIRIAF = BRIGHTEST - in theory yes, though I’d say most people would tend to use FWYAF DISGLAIR in preference.

As a rule of thumb, single syllable words usually take the -af (except the exceptions of course!), with words of more syllables you will often hear “fywaf xxx” instead.

Diolch eto Siaron.

1 Like