A Tiny Milestone

Today I passed a tiny milestone. I had my first proper Work Conversation with a Welsh speaking colleague and actually achieved the result I needed too. Up to now all conversations have bin chit chat or ‘practice’ conversations. It was a nice feeling.

16 Likes

Llongyfarchiadau!!

3 Likes

2 Likes

That seems like a huge milestone.
Llongyfarchiadau.

2 Likes

Da iawn ti! A great feeling, I am sure! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

2 Likes

Thanks all, yes it felt good to use the language for a purpose :smile:

3 Likes

Hi Craig. I live close to you in Frostproof. Would you be inerested in a meet up one day?

1 Like

Congratulations, A_jay - Llongyfarchiadau!

…Apart from living through the meium of Welsh for a whole week, and meeting up with Welsh speaking friends for whole weekends of speaking just about only in Welsh, that is…

But as you say, every additional use of your Welsh is a huge step forward, although it’s only to prove to yourself that you are a Welsh speaker. Everyone else already knows!

5 Likes

Thanks Iestyn, you are right of course… I wonder why it is we keep having to re-prove to ourselves what we have already experienced?

In my case I guess it is lack of self confidence and my insistence on measuring my ability against much more fluent speakers :smile:

I’m sure that’s true for all of us, in different ways and in different circumstances.

“I’m so far behind X - they’re so good…”

“Wow I’m as good as X now, but look at Y”

“I’m happy that I can hold my own against Y, but I still can’t do…”

It’s far easier to see the big looming problem in front of you than it is to realise how many obstacles you’ve already overcome, but the trick is to keep making sure that the big looming problem in front of you becomes one of the insignificant molehills behind you.

I’m sure there’s a moe elegant way to put that, but you know what I mean!

2 Likes

I call that the @tatjana syndrome!! But I think she’s got over it!!

1 Like

I’m climbing, I’m climbing … :slight_smile:

“Tatjana syndrom” hmmmm … I didn’t know I’m that famous. - HAHA :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You are, @Tatjana, you are!

3 Likes