A stupid question about the definite article

I keep hearing “yr ci” in the lessons - like in “mynd yr ci am dro " . Shouldn’t it be " y ci” ?

what you hear is “mynd â’r ci am dro” “mynd” means “to go” and “mynd â” is literally “go with” here it means take .

3 Likes

Taking a dog for a walk = mynd a ci am dro.
Taking the dog for a walk = mynd a’r ci am dro

OK, I’m not sure how it’s written but we’re talking about saying it so you’d probably know what I mean. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m quite embarrassed now . “Mind a” had just slipped my mind . I knew I was being stupid !
Thanks anyway .

Hey!

No question is stupid enough not to be asked. And then, who asks gets an answer, who doesn’t wanders in darkness. Right? (Not anybody’s saying, I’ve just composed this … hehe) :slight_smile: So, I’m glad you asked and was happy to answer. (as far as concerns me)

Hmm, wel, mynd â’r ci am dro nawr. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just to note that strictly this is mynd â chi am dro, but you are just as likely to hear mynd â ci am dro in everyday speech.

Hwyl,

Stu

3 Likes

There’s no such thing as a stupid question - every question helps :sunny:

Ah, ja. Here my knowledge of mutations has gone to fade … or I didn’t go through this yet or I forgot. I was almost certain there’s mising something in my written phrase though. Hmmm. and I’m not quite sure my ears and brains are prepared to change to this so quickly (regarding hearing/sayig it) :slight_smile:

Well, but since here was question about â and â’r I believe we could drop this mutation discussion in this thread for a while not to confuse people too much. :slight_smile:

But, yes. Thanks in deed @essenbee for bringing this out. I’m learning faster that way. I still claim I just have to have something written infront of me sometimes even if it’s about speaking what we’re learning.

Thanks to all !

1 Like