A Struggler and A Straggler

Dear All
I have been prompted to post for the first time by a series of smoke signals from Aran, pointing out that I am now 3 weeks behind. I have stalled at week 42 of the 24 month journey.

I moved to Wales for the first time in 2018 and live near Lampeter, so I am surrounded by Welsh Speakers in the Community. Like a recent contributor, I am struggling to pluck up the confidence and have a conversation with anybody about anything. The main barrier is the length of time I feel it takes me to understand what I think someone has just said to me in Welsh, try and remember what it means so I can translate it into English, think about what I would like to say in response and then about what I actually know how to say before then translating it back into Welsh. All of that seems to take forever and isn’t good for my confidence. Additionally, having signed up for the 6 minutes a day option at the start, it now feels as though you are expected to spend far longer than that.

Also, how long does it take before you start to understand instinctively how words are pronounced when you see them written or know how words are spelt when you hear them spoken? At the start and finish of each SSIW lesson I enjoy the music clip but wonder if I will ever have any idea what she is singing about.

All suggestions would be gratefully received.

Diolch yn fawr iawn

Alan

Hi Alan, you’ve come to the right place for support and encouragement and that’s something we all need!
Lots of us here know exactly what you’re going through and how frustrating this stage feels, and you’re absolutely right, it does knock your confidence. But it is temporary, I promise.

The main thing to do is to try not to overthink things - this is a case where ‘freewheeling’ is a better option than trying to find the right ‘gear’. The way the SSiW method works means that an awful lot more is going into your head than you’re conciously aware of, but it’s a method most of us are unfamiliar with so we try to force ourselves to interpret the information we hear and want to say according to how we think we should - and don’t give our brain chance to do it on its own! I know it sounds a bit weird, but when (yes, when, not if!) you start noticing it for yourself, it’ll make sense!

So, my suggestion is to keep doing the lessons and the tasks set, but also boost that ‘subconscious’ learning by having Welsh audio on in the background at every opportunity - it can be radio, TV, podcasts, whatever, and just have it audible, DON’T consciously try to listen or understand it. After a while you will realise you’ve heard a word you understand even though you weren’t listening. Then it’ll be a sentence, then more. It will sneak up on you, and it feels great!

You’ve obviously read other threads where people have been struggling with confidence to speak to Welsh speakers they know, so the same advice given to them applies here too. It really is all to do with confidence and nothing to do with how many words or constructions you know. Never be worried about asking a Welsh speaker to repeat something slowly for you, and don’t worry about taking your time to answer - and if they turn to English as many of them do, it’s usually because they think they’re being polite and helpful, not because they are impatient, so say thanks but explain that unless they’re in a particular hurry, it would help you more to continue in Welsh.

There is no definitive “how long does it take” because everyone is different and in different circumstances, and from my own experience, even when you’ve been speaking Welsh as a second language for decades, there will be things you come across that you’re not sure how to pronounce or spell, and songs you still can’t understand, but then I find that’s also the case in English!

Anyway, end of lecture/essay! I know others will jump in with suggestions too, but take heart - you’re in the right place and we’re all here for you!

6 Likes

Great advice there from @siaronjames so I’d just like to add that there is a wonderfully friendly and supportive conversation hour for Welsh learners in Lampeter on Tuesday mornings, between 11:00 and 12:00. It takes place upstairs in the Mulberry Tree health food shop, and if you say that you’re learning with SSiW they’ll be happy to include you.

2 Likes

You may actually find it easier if you try to speak Cymraeg with people you DON’T know, which gives a sort of mental ‘safety blanket’ knowing you won’t see them again if you mess up or feel embarrassed.

3 Likes

Just to add to what @Deborah-SSi said, I’ve been learning for getting on for 7 years, and I still panic sometimes when talking to native Welsh speakers. But talking to other learners can be confidence-building, because we talk more slowly, and those of us who’ve learned with SSiW use much of the same vocabulary and structures! Once you’ve had lengthy conversations with learners, speaking to friends and neighbours will get easier.

As for understanding how words are pronounced when you read them, I found that came quicker in Welsh than with other languages, because almost all the letters are always pronounced the same way, and most words are stressed on the penultimate syllable. You’ll find videos online of people pronouncing the letters, and you could then practise reading words aloud, and get practically all of them right. I’d say it takes longer to guess how words are spelt, and even longer to find them in a dictionary if you keep forgetting the order the letters come in! But if you mainly want to talk to people in your community, maybe that’s not critical at this stage? Good luck with your learning.

2 Likes

Hi Rob
Wise words indeed. Many thanks for taking the time to send them.
Best wishes
Alan

2 Likes

Dear Deborah
Many thanks for mentioning the Mulberry Tree group. Sadly, my work commitments won’t allow me to attend but a common theme in people’s replies is to get regular practice so I can see how this would be really helpful.
Cofion cynnes
Alan

Hello Siaron
Many thanks for the pep talk. I think I am worrying to much about being perfect. Also, I hadn’t appreciated the subliminal impact of regular exposure to spoken Welsh, even if I don’t understand all/any of the words.
Kind regards
Alan

3 Likes

Dear Bronwen
Many thanks for your support.
I’m only looking to gain a basic understanding of the language so I can enjoy life more in the country that is now my home. I appreciate you taking the time to help me achieve that goal.
Best wishes
Alan

2 Likes